Chapter Two: The Truth, Exposed

"We'll never get that dropship to fly and we're losing time! Who knows what they're doing to Steven," Pearl said in a panic as the three Crystal Gems warped back to Steven's home.

Garnet and Amethyst watched Pearl pace frantically as she spoke; the house was empty and quiet behind her. They knew they were running out of time.

Amethyst glanced behind her and a smile blossomed on her face. "Hang on, P!" Amethyst ran into her room and the door closed behind her.

Pearl immediately rounded on Garnet, who remained as stoic as ever.

"Garnet," Pearl begged, her hands clasped together as tears pooled in her eyes. "Is he still alive?"

Garnet nodded once, but her facial expression didn't change.

The Temple Door glowed and Amethyst emerged. She dragged out various broken space junk, as she once called it, with her whip.

"Garnet, a little help?" she asked, cryptically.

The fusion walked over and picked up the pile. She hadn't said a word to the gems after Steven sacrificed himself and none of them dared to ask about the futures she was seeing. They didn't want to know. All they could do was move forward and hope to get to him on time.

"Okay," Pearl said as she shifted through some of the components in Garnet's arms. "We might be able to retrofit some of this into the dropship. Peridot can help speed up the process. Amethyst, can you go get her?"

"On it," the purple gem said before she rushed to the warp and vanished.

"Garnet, let's go back to the dropship," Pearl said. She was first on the pad and Garnet hesitated before she stepped on too. Pearl's face dropped; she knew what Garnet was thinking. "We have to try," she told the fusion. "For Steven."

Garnet sighed but nodded. Her silence was enough of an answer for Pearl, but they couldn't give up. They had to try; no matter how many bleak futures Garnet saw, they wouldn't give up on Steven.

They would get him home if it was the last thing they did.

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

He didn't know how long he was in the cell. Steven's mouth was so dry that it felt like sandpaper, his eyes burned from tears he wanted to cry but couldn't produce, and his stomach was in knots, though over fear or hunger, he didn't know.

The Diamonds didn't know organics needed food and water. He could die in this cell before they decided to kill him.

He didn't know which option he preferred.

And Lars. Lars, who was stuck in that horrible zoo and probably out of his mind from listening to Holly Blue Agate dictate his schedule all day and night, was a prisoner.

At least he was safe. At least the gems knew about the Zoo and Garnet would know Lars was trapped there. After all, they must have noticed he didn't get off the ship; that Lars came with Steven. Lars wasn't doomed to live in the zoo forever.

Steven rolled over and faced the wall with the door and tried to smile at the thought, but one didn't come.

Then, the door appeared in the wall and Topaz stepped in.

"The Diamonds are ready," she whispered as she knelt down next to Steven. "I'm sorry."

Steven sighed and forced himself into a sitting position. His hands shook terribly, but he wasn't afraid. He accepted what was going to happen to him; accepted that this is why his mother created him.