Part 12

"Nenek, I wish you are listening to me right now. I am lost. I did something to Ibu Syirah and Mama Ros and I thought it'd make me feel better but I feel worst. I betrayed them for bapak."

"Zaryn, my son. You came back. I knew you'd come back to me. Forgive me because it's my fault that you went to prison. I pampered you too much and let you get away with many unacceptable things. I enabled you to bully Rosnani. I drove the wedge between you and Syirah. I favoured you over your sister Zara and your brother Zaryf. My actions led you to do desperate things. It's my fault you cheated on your wives. It's my fault you drugged Syirah when she was pregnant. It's my fault you embezzled money and lost your job. It's my fault you sold the restaurant. It's my fault because I was too blind in my love for you, I never stopped you. I fed your greed. Forgive me Zaryn and forgive yourself. It's time to put everything behind us and repent."

Khalid was panic-stricken. He was wrong about Syirah and Rosnani. He was wrong about his father. He took out his phone and dialled Syirah's number. Her phone is switched off. He called Maxine.

"Maxine, could you please go check on my mother in her office?"

"Syirah did not come to work today, she reported sick. Is everything okay?"

"Can't talk right now. Bye."

He dialled Zaryn's number. It's disconnected.

Khalid rushed back home to look for his mother. He went through every room, every toilet, the balcony and the kitchen. There's no one in the house. Where is Syirah? What could Zaryn have done to her?

"Hello Nikky, you were right. I was wrong to listen to my father. My mother is in danger. I need your help to look for her. Please Nikky."

"Stay calm. I'll be right with you."

****