Part 4

The buzzing sound of his phone's vibration against the bedside table went on for a minute before Khalid opened his eyes. He squinted at the screen. An unknown caller. He glanced at the time and noticed that he slept through till 3 pm. He ignored the call.

Khalid stretched on his luxurious soft bed with the newly padded quilt and covers. The fresh scent of lavender from the humidifier is a welcome change to the stench of students clumped in a dormitory. Ibu Syirah organized everything in his room to a T.

The phone buzzed again.

A persistent caller. Could be important.

"Hello."

"Khalid?"

The familiar voice that got cut off when his flight took off.

"Bapak?"

"Yes son, it's me. I've been trying to reach you."

"Sorry, may I call you back in half an hour?"

"Are you avoiding me? Hang up on me again? Please son, give me a chance and hear me out."

"No, I am not avoiding you. I was in flight when you called and the line got cut off. I promise I will call you back later."

"Prove it. Meet me at the park near nenek's house in 2 hours. At 5pm."

"Okay."

Khalid ended the call and threw his phone on the bed. He stood up and paced up and down.

How am I going to face him? I've lived without a father for 25 years. Why does he want to talk to me now? Ah, forget it. I will deal with all this later. My stomach is screaming for food.

****