Chapter 35: Constellation

Khushi

"—I'm here!" Mami-ji flounced into the study. "I asked Hari Prakash to make us some popcorn. Now we can watch."

She settled on the sofa next to them, eyes already eagerly trained onto the screen. "Hello, hi, bye-bye. I'm eager to see who this Tanya is. In the precap last week she looked so good. All modern and beautiphool!"

Exchanging a look with her Jiji, who sat next to her on the couch, Khushi responded, "The actress is very pretty. I hope Sagar is nicer to her than he is to Muskaan."

Jiji reached for the popcorn Mami-ji had placed on the table.

"Here, I think he was right to be angry," she said. "She can't just do whatever she wants without thinking about the consequences!"

Gasping, Khushi stole some popcorn from her sister's hand, "It was a mistake, she didn't know it was his house!"

"You just watch," Mami-ji gestured at the screen. "You know how these serials go. She'll vow to never see him again and end up working in his media empire as a receptionist, hello, hi, bye-bye."

They subsided as the disclaimer came on the screen. Khushi returned to her phone, deleting two emojis from her message before pressing send.

"Payal?"

Just outside the sitting area, Aakash-ji held a shirt as he stared bemusedly at the television.

"Bitwa, what do you want?"

"N-no, Maa, I was looking for Payal."

By now, Jiji had met Aakash-ji at the threshold of the room, "What is it, Aakash?"

They stepped away to hold a short, murmured conversation. Khushi looked at her phone in an effort to give them privacy, just as it lit up. The screen showed her message and the response:

Khushi: We're watching Rabba Ve in the study, in case you come home and can't find me. You should watch with us!

Arnav-ji: Very funny, Khushi.

Smiling, she quickly typed out a reply. He responded almost immediately.

Khushi: Aakash Jija-ji is here too, watching with us. Why don't you ever join us?

Arnav-ji: What Aakash does in his marriage is his own business. I'm in the car, see you soon.

Jiji returned to her place on the sofa after a few minutes, the shirt and a needle and thread in her hands. Aakash Jija-ji flopped next to his mother after snatching up some popcorn.

"This is nonsense," he interrupted a few minutes later. "Why are there so many shots of him walking dramatically? It's taken him five minutes to reach his office and now he's leaving again."

"You just shut-up-iyai, Aakash-bitwa. This is no place for your logic, it's a serial."

Khushi heart swelled with gladness as she watched Aakash-ji exchange a contrite look with Jiji, who had to stifle a giggle.

The episode was almost over by the time the doorbell chimed. Khushi stood, waving away Jai Prakash-ji on her way to open the doors. Arnav-ji gave her a small smile as she took his laptop bag.

"How was your show?"

Khushi bounced, "It was good."

They stopped to say hello to Di, who paused in her reading of a magazine to ask Arnav-ji about his day. And again to chat with Aakash-ji in the study.

"Do you really want me to watch it with you?" her husband asked when they were in their bedroom.

Khushi closed the door with a soft click, "No, I was just teasing you."