Interlude: Alchemy

Author's Note: This chapter has been a long time in the making. Sharing it is both terrifying and exhilarating. Please be gentle.

Interlude: Arnav

The contract he was reading seemed to blur. Arnav rubbed his eyes, utterly fed up with the antics of the supplier they were currently in negotiations with. And his plans for the rest of the evening left little time for a careful read-through.

I already hate this blasted wedding reception and it hasn't even started.

In fact, he thought he hated the wedding altogether. 

Khushi had left the running of her dabba service to Shukla while she attended the festivities with the rest of the family, which meant that he no longer saw her during the day. Any hopes he'd entertained about evenings spent at their private poolside had also been dashed. Instead, she'd been occupied with Payal and the rest of the family - organising outfits and presents and whatever else was required - and came to bed only when exhaustion forced her. 

The combination of gruelling hours at work and an inability to sleep until she was in his arms meant that he was exhausted right alongside her. 

He stifled a yawn as Khushi stepped into the room holding a tray and shouldered the door closed behind her. The tray held a single cup and a plate of samosas. She smiled as she placed it on the table before turning towards the bathroom.

Affection surged in his heart. "Where's yours?"

She turned, expression quizzical.

"Where's your tea?" Arnav elaborated, "Am I to eat and drink alone?"

"I ... I didn't ... I have to get ready."

"Come here."

He pulled her into his lap, ignoring her small noise of surprise as he settled her comfortably. Then he stretched for the cup and held it to her lips.

"Drink some with me."

Her eyes didn't leave his as she sipped. Arnav cleared his throat as his body stirred.

Damn, I miss her.

"How did you spend the day?" he asked, bringing the cup to his mouth.

He tightened his grip as Khushi shifted her weight, "Di took us to the temple in the morning and then we shopped for a few last-minute things."

"Did you use the money I gave you?"

Khushi nodded, sipping again from the cup as he offered it. 

Arnav set the cup on the table after finishing the last of the tea, "What are you wearing tonight?"

"The sari I bought. Black with a pink border."

"I'm a dead man," he groaned. 

The blouse she'd picked was tiny. Almost non-existent. He felt himself harden at the mere thought.

Khushi giggled, "It's black. That way we'll match."

"Oh yeah?" he laughed.

He pulled her in for a kiss, liking the way her fingers dug into his shoulder. She gasped when he bit her bottom lip gently, allowing him to slide his tongue against hers. She was a balm to the tumult inside him. Her hands moved restlessly under his sweater, seeking entry into his shirt.

He allowed his own hands to explore. Her shoulders, her neck, her collarbone.

Khushi made a quiet sound, arching towards him in an unmistakable demand for more. And despite countless promises to himself to take it slow, he was powerless to deny her. First, Arnav adjusted their positions so she straddled him as he leaned against the back of the sofa. She gasped with surprise.