Chapter 8: Collar

Khushi

"Khushi-ji ... I mean, Khushi-bhabhi, Anjali-didi has called everyone into the hall."

She followed Om Prakash-ji after giving Lakshmi-ji a final pat, trying to swallow down her worry for Nani-ji. Everyone was already downstairs when she arrived, arranged on the plush sofas and focussed attentively on Anjali-ji.

"It's good that you've arrived, Khushi-ji," she greeted, "Now we can begin."

Khushi stood behind the seat her husband had chosen, noting that he'd showered and changed since she'd last seen him. She toyed with her dupatta as Anjali-ji approached her.

"Khushi-ji, you will not be accepted as this household's daughter-in-law ..."

The world seemed to shrink. Suddenly dizzy, Khushi twisted her fingers into the fabric of the sofa as Arnav-ji stood.

He moved in front of her and faced his sister, "Fine, if this is what you—"

"—I'm not finished Chhote," Anjali-ji's tone was steel, "Don't interrupt, this is not your office but your home."

Khushi trembled, hating that she'd come between her husband and the most important person in his life.

"Khushi-ji, you can't become the Raizada family's bahu," Anjali-ji started again, "until you complete the Griha Pravesh and all the post-wedding customs."

Hope, dim and fickle though it was, surged with her.

Maybe I can still find a place here, maybe this can be my home too, even if for a short while.

Arnav-ji's eyes found hers in the shocked silence, but she was distracted by Anjali-ji before she could decipher the storm in his eyes.

"Change into this bridal outfit," his sister instructed, "and then we'll observe all the rituals."

Khushi ran her fingers over the soft fabric, the vivid reds and vibrant greens bringing tears to her eyes. It was everything she wanted and everything she couldn't have all at once.

###

Khushi used his bathroom to change into the outfit, acutely aware that he sat just outside, fiddling with his phone. They'd barely spoken, despite everything that had happened, so she prepared herself for a long overdue conversation by mentally rehearsing the things she wanted to say to him. But a knock sounded just as she emerged from the bathroom, and she breathed a sigh of relief as Arnav-ji opened it.

Anjali-ji stood at the door, jewellery boxes in her hands, "Wear these and come downstairs. We're ready for the Griha Pravesh."

She deposited them on the bed before glancing at Arnav-ji, but left without speaking to him. Again, Khushi felt wretched for tearing them apart. She settled in front of his mirror to thread on the earrings, affix the maangtikka, and slip on the necklace. She pulled her mangalsutra out from behind it before opening the second box.

Bangles.

A memory slammed into her, and she was out of her seat and rushing out of the room before Arnav-ji could utter a sound. She found the small bag she'd left in the guest room untouched, and rummaged through it until she found a long, slim box. Then she slipped on the orange-red bangles, uncaring that they didn't match the outfit and fighting tears as she recalled the way he'd smiled in victory as he'd confirmed that she'd worn his gift.

Where did he go, the man who became a waiter for me, the man who bought these bangles for me, the man who kissed me at the poolside and challenged me to do the same?