Chapter 28: Caress

Khushi

Khushi scrunched her nose against the pain in her shoulder and arm as she opened her eyes, but the ache all but flew away as she discovered its source. Arnav-ji sprawled untidily on the sofa, his hair in disarray and mouth slightly open, still holding her hand in his.

This is real. It has to be. He has no reason to pretend anymore.

The realisation made her heart skip several beats. She twisted, freeing herself without waking her husband, and tiptoed to the wardrobe.

"Khushi ..."

She turned at Arnav-ji's sleepy groan just in time to see him shift and get comfortable. Happiness blossomed in her heart as she slipped into the bathroom.

He was awake when she emerged, fiddling with his phone as he waited. He greeted her softly.

"Hi."

"H-hi," her heart raced.

Her husband watched in silence as she stood at the mirror and ran her fingers through her damp hair. Then, turning to the bangle organiser Di had kindly given her, Khushi selected the orange bangles Arnav-ji had once gifted her.

"Those bangles ... I wanted you to wear something I'd gotten for you. Not NK. Me."

All the time, she was aware of his gaze. She wore the yellow and orange suit that he'd intended the bangles for, last worn on Jiji's haldi. Her fingers trembled, and she slipped as she slid the bangles home.

"Don't you have to get ready?" she asked crossly, refusing to look in his direction.

With a chuckle, Arnav-ji swung off the sofa to gather a shirt and slacks from the wardrobe, leaving her to breathe a sigh of relief and finish getting ready in peace. When he emerged, just as she was applying sindoor, Khushi watched his approach in the mirror as her heart once again did its best to leap out of her chest.

Hai Devi Maiyya, will I always be so affected by him?

He wore black and black and black, and as usual, she marvelled that it all looked so different despite being the same. Lost in her thoughts, she didn't notice that he stood behind her until he placed his hands on her shoulders and pulled her into himself. He was solid, warm, and his breath tickled her neck.

Something about this felt oddly familiar.

"Ready for your first day?" Arnav-ji asked softly, meeting her eyes in the mirror.

He smiled when she nodded.

"I'll take you to the markets," he offered, "and then to AR. Lalit will drive you home. I have a late international call."

"Oh," Khushi breathed, "Lalit-ji can drive me, you don't have to."

She shuddered as he slid his hands from her shoulders to her waist and pulled her even closer. He dipped his head to press a soft kiss to her cheek. She thought her heart stopped beating altogether.

"I'm your husband. It's my right."

It was only after he'd left the room that she realised what'd felt so familiar about his embrace. She'd once childishly daydreamed of him standing behind her at the same mirror, blowing into her hair before insulting her choice of sari.

For once, she was glad to have been proven wrong.

My Laad Governor is romantic after all.

#####

Around noon, Khushi rushed into her husband's cabin to deposit a small yellow container on his desk. Ignoring his pointed stare, she hurriedly marked it off her list and prepared to run back to the door.