02: Why me?

Recap:

I looked down into the depths of darkness that awaited me. I tried gasping for air but instead I inhaled the salty water of the sea.

I was blacking out.

Before falling into a deep slumber, I saw a shape swimming my way. I starred at it

"Like a deer caught in headlights."

——————————————————————————

Quote of the day:

'Just when the caterpillar thought the world was ending, she became a butterfly.'

-Barbara Haines Howett.

——————————————————————————

2: Why me?

I felt two strong arms hug tightly around my tiny waist. I could sense that I was being brought back up to the surface. I felt the summer wind blow against my freckled face. I was alive. My eyes continued to stay shut. I didn't have control over my body. I felt the two hands gently place me down onto the wet sand. I coughed up the salty sea water as I opened my blue eyes.

I gasped as I saw him. I was shocked.

Jay Cole. The typical hot, cocky, bad boy, jerk from our high school was hovering over my body looking into my eyes. His brown fluffy hair flew gorgeously in the wind.

"What did you think you were doing?! Didn't you see the sign, the dock is being shut down for maintenance!" He shouted at me with his rough deep voice.

"Obviously not!" I responded shouting. I hated him! 

"You've always been a pain in the ass!" He screamed.

Jay Cole and I have a complicated relationship. I've never forgave him for giving me that stupid nickname.

"You didn't have to save me, I would've of been fine!" I lied.

"Next time I won't bother then." He said.

I didn't know how to respond. I felt my cheeks burn with embarrassment.

"Uh- thank you!" I shouted.

Why on earth did I say that!?

"What a dumb girl." I heard him say under his breath as he headed towards his red motor bike.

Did he just call me dumb? I knew for a fact I was smarter than him. I kept my eyes on Jay as he climbed onto his motorcycle. The sun glistened perfectly onto his muscular back and thighs. I couldn't look away. I sat up as my head spun in circles. I stood up and shook off all the sand that stuck to my skinny thighs.

"Kate!" I heard a voice yell at me.

I turned my head in the direction of the voice.

"Are you okay?!"

I squinted my eyes and saw my mother shredding the terrifying dark ocean water. I watched as my mom ran towards me stomping her feet on the wet sand as her wet hair flew in the wind. Uh oh, she was mad.

"I'm done with you and your idiotic shenanigans with water. I saw you fall in! You could've died if it wasn't for that kind boy!" She said shouting as she jammed her crooked finger into my pale chest.

Kind? Did she just call him kind? He's soulless.

"Tommorrow we are signing you up for swimming lessons!" My mom shouted at me.

I stood there speechless. Swimming lessons? I laughed at what my mother had just said. I saw her expression turn into something I couldn't quite grasp. Her eyebrows knitted together. I could practically see the smoke fuming from her ears.

Swimming lessons are for babies, I'm sixteen! And anyways, I'm too scared to even set foot into any deep body of water. I wouldn't survive swimming lessons! She must of been joking. I watched as my mom turned on her heels and headed back towards the water. She's crazy.

I sat there soaked on the sandy beach speechless as I thought about the events that just took place. I almost died, the bad boy saved my life, and tomorrow my mom is signing me up for swimming lessons. What a boring day at the beach, I chuckled.

The next morning I was awoken by my alarm clock. I pressed snooze and got dressed into my favourite pair of light washed skinny jeans and a black laced shirt. I headed down the old carpeted stairs and towards the bright kitchen.

I walked towards the pantry and took out fruit loops. I ate my breakfast as I played my phone. Maybe she forgot about the swimming lessons.

"Hurry up and finish eating," My mother yelled out from behind me. "We are going to the pool."

I jinxed it.

I sighed as I rinsed my bowl and placed it into the dish washer. I followed my mom out of our old brick home and towards our silver van that shined brighter than usual in the morning sun. I pulled the black handle and hopped into the passenger seat. My mother backed out of the old cracked driveway and headed onto the road. My heart pounded harder against my rib cage as the pool came closer.

I started to hyperventilate. I squeezed the arm rest of my chair as I tried breathing normally. My mind was racing a mile a minute. I don't want to do this! I was broken from my thoughts as our silver van parked into a parking spot closest to the front doors of the pool.

My heart sunk into my chest as my eyes scanned the black and white building. I don't want to do swimming lessons! I reached my hand out to open the car door. I stepped into the fresh California air. I took a few breaths as I closed my eyes. Blue skies in, grey skies out. I started to walk towards the building as I followed my mother.

I viewed the big glass doors from a distance. They looked like they were getting further away. My mom reached out for the door handle and pulled it open. A gush of cool air came flying out of the building shooting shivers down my spine. Blue skies in, grey skies out.

This isn't fair. I tried to fight my mind as we walked over to the front desk.

"I'd like to sign my daughter up for swimming lessons." my mom told the lady who had brown short hair that barely passed her shoulders.

"What level is she?" The woman asked.

Please lie. Please lie.

"She doesn't know how to swim." my mom answered truthfully.

She always embarrasses me. My cheeks burned. Out of all the things my mom could of said. I turned my head away from the woman not wanting to make eye contact. I pretended to look at the wall of posters that were directly to my right.

"Her class will start tomorrow morning at ten." The woman informed my mother.

I wanted to run away from my mom and this horrible nightmare, but I didn't. Instead, I walked over to our silver van and sat back into the passenger seat and sighed.

Why me?

——————————————————————————

******

-

QOTD: Do you have a crush?

-

What will happen to Kate tomorrow at her swimming lesson?

-

I hope you enjoyed chapter two. There is romance coming soon..so just wait out!

-

If you have any feedback, go ahead and comment :)

-

Thank you for reading!

-

******

——————————————————————————