••chapter twenty six••

I sat down at the dining table for breakfast and checked my phone to see that I still had twenty minutes before I leave for school, mom pressed a kiss to my temple before placing down a plate of pancakes in front of me, I wipe the red lip stain off and pick up my fork while my other hand is holding my phone.

"Alice, honey, come home today and don't go anywhere else," Mom told me, "tonight can change your life and help out your dad."

"Why?" I asked her, clicking on the YouTube app and browsed my recommended section, it was all painting tutorials and art-related content.

"Since somebody wasn't feeling well yesterday, we rescheduled another dinner tonight," dad said pointedly at me.

"Huh?" I averted my eyes from my phone, "Oh, about that, sorry."

"It's not your fault. They really want to meet you it seems like," Dad then went on excitedly, "you can get an internship there! An internship at Horizon Labs, they don't usually accept high schoolers, you know? It's a once-"

"-Once in a lifetime opportunity," I finished for him and shook my head, "Yeah, I know, but... like, remember my Stark Internship thingy? I can start it when I graduate from high school."

Only several months ago, Tony Stark tried to recruit me to fight Steve Rogers because of the Sokovia Accords; he used an internship as the cover story. Still, I refused the offer but recommended Spider-Man, who I had no idea was Peter until late September.

"Sweetie, it's Tony Stark, and it's when you graduate," Mom said with a slight distaste.

I scoffed, "Yeah, I know, but what if I don't want to do an internship at Horizon Labs, and I want to work for Stark Industries?" It's not like Tony Stark even remembers about the internship he offered to me; it probably wasn't even real.

"The worst thing that can happen in the work field is making enemies, trust me on this one. If the Stark opportunity doesn't work out and Horizon Labs doesn't accept you, then you'll have no more opportunities, you'll have to take it when it's fresh."

"True..." I looked at dad, who nodded in agreement with mom.

"Look at Tony Stark and Steve Rogers," Mom sighed, exasperated, "forced to sign a government contract. Oh my god, this one nurse in the breakroom said Captain America became the bad guy- I mean, who thinks that? He saved us all from HYDRA like two years ago."

"I agree with you," I shrugged nonchalantly, thinking briefly back to what happened in 2014. If only I had the heart to face HYDRA again and hunt them down to take revenge, but I wanted to move on. I was still trying to convince myself that revenge isn't worth the effort.

"So who's coming? Just people from Horizon Labs?" I asked, attempting to lift the mood.

I drizzled maple syrup over my pancakes, a little too much since mom ended up taking away the bottle.

"Same people from yesterday," Mom told me, placing the cap back onto the syrup bottle and placed it away from me. "Just some head of the departments, some important people, but the star of the night is going to be you, so you got to show up. You don't want to delay the company's deal."

"What?"

Mom nodded, "Yep, uh-huh, you didn't show up last night, so they delayed signing the deal."

How is me not showing up to grab an internship going to delay a whole ass company deal?

"That doesn't make sense-"

"It doesn't, but they were adamant about meeting you to offer you an internship," Mom nodded again.

"What-? How- how does me not showing up postpone-"