•chapter nine•

Ms. Hill pulled up to a dam-like structure, turning off the car and getting out, she slides open the van door open for me and I stepped out. Greenery was all around along with trees, a forest almost.

"This is the secret base?" I turned in a circle to try and see everything. "Looks abandoned, good place though."

"Why yes," she smiled, closing the van door.

We strode across the cement walkway before reaching an iron bar door, rusted and old, it was unlocked. Ms. Hill pulled open the door and close it after I followed in, there was a vast hallway and the air did not smell the best, like a sewer, it was an old facility after all.

We entered another corridor and my eyes trailed all over the rusty and grime covered metal and cement pillars, Ms. Hill swiped open a murky curtain separating to another room, there laid Director Nick Fury on a hospital bed.

Wounds and bruises on his face and linked up to a heart monitor, not to mention the x-ray pictures of his broken bones.

"How does it feel?" I teased and took notice of a middle-aged man with glasses.

"Doctor Fine," he introduced himself, extending out his hand for me to shake.

"Alice Bennett." I shook his hand politely then turned back to Nick Fury.

"Feels like I'm dead," he answered me, sounding humorless.

I nodded in understanding. "Yeah, same."

Ms. Hill took a look at her phone and announced, "I'll have to go get the others." with that she left the room and walked down the dirty hallways.

I sat down on a nearby chair, clapping my hands together and looked at Nick Fury with full on curiosity. "So who else is at your disposal?"

• • • • • • •

I can't believe it, Captain America and Black Widow, right several feet in front of me. Just a couple of weeks ago I was doing a project for school on the Howling Commandos, and one of the members is right in front of me.

It took most of my self control not to ask for an autograph on my arm, it was Captain America for goodness sake.

Doctor Fine was applying pressure to Ms. Romanoff's bullet wound, and I stood behind the curtains silently, still not noticed after three minutes. Another person, a man with dark skin and buzz cut had his arms crossed, I wasn't sure who he was, probably another agent.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead. Science..." Fury stated, sighing out. "I wasn't sure who to trust."

"Not that you really can't trust anyone," I said, swiping the curtains to the side.

"How long was she there?" Ms. Romanoff questioned, turning her head around to get a glimpse of me, her face covered in dirt and bruises, obviously just came out of a fight or something similar.

"Long enough to listen to the whole conversation," I mustered up a small smile, trying not to make everything more awkward. "The weird part is how did you survive with that much injuries?"

"I could say the same to you but with mental injuries," Fury retorted, and then addressed the whole group, to Ms. Romanoff, Rogers, and the man who I don't know yet. "This is Alice Bennett."

I was a bit thankful for Fury using my new name but it wouldn't really matter, it was just to keep my identity safe after all, even from the Avengers.

The unknown man and Steve Rogers stared at me, shocked.

Mr. Rogers was the first to speak, frustrated, "You're bringing a kid into this?"