Chapter 8 - The past is never dead

The past is never dead. It's not even past.

-William Faulkner

"Wedding!" Squealed Sakshi excitedly, nearly jumping upside down.

Sameer rolled his eyes, "not Wedding, just an engagement party."

"Rajasthani style?" Chotu quipped, giving a look to his partner in crime Shree, who intrigued look as well.

"Gujarti style. My soon to be sister in law's family are hardcore Gujrati, staying in Ahmedabad from past 4 generations." He distributed the cards to the team mates, "Party is being held in our other house."

"That house which looks like mansion and should be illegal for acquiring too much land?" Rawte entered the room, his voice amused, to which Sameer gave a mock stern gaze.

"Funny. And yes, that home only." he then took rest of cards from table, "I am heading for lab to give Liza invitation."

"Where is my card?" the second in command asked, his expression of someone with wounded pride.

"You are the official slave for the day along with me, so no need for card." he started to leave as all of the team mate started to laugh, "just show up sharp at 8."

"PM?" the former could not resist.

"AM. for work." and he exited, leaving behind team mates who shook their heads at the rare banter between two lifelong friends in a workplace.

Sameer returned from lab and near lift nearly banged with ACP Mukherjee, "In a hurry, eh?" she asked sarcastically, but in response he grinned widely and thrashed a card in her palm.

"Engagement party. not mine, my elder cousin's." he explained before she even opened the mouth.

"Of course not yours." she murmured dryly with a hint of amusement.

he quirked an eyebrow, "do I want to know what was that?" then shook his head as they both started to head for discussion room. he never noticed the way her face softened or the varity of emotions flickered across, but stopped in track when her fingers gripped his forearm.

"I cant accept this." she tried to hand over the card but he didnt take it.

"I promise food will be good and music wont be as much terrible as you imagine."

she looked away, lips turned up in the corner for a moment, then she was serious, "I should not. its a family function."

"I invited the whole team." he assured.

"I just dont think I should be there. not much family person." she tried to politely decline.

"Then you just enjoy food and have internal laugh at other's stupidity." he sighed when he took in her unwilling emotion, "I invited you. now its up to you, arrive or dont arrive. I promise not to brood if you dont, now its upto you."

she had to look away when he was starting to see too much, and in the process noticed they were standing merely some metres away from discussion room, and that the crime journo was giving her death glares through the glass.

"whats with the love looks?'' she said to herself as her fingers slowly loosened its grip from his forearm, frowning a little.

he sighed, to which her head whipped toward him, "would not you like to know?" he replied, then looked at her. both shared a small chuckled at that, and then headed for discussion room.

"just a curiosity, will this time it be a LBD or couture?"

"would not you like to know?"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++