Chapter 36- My blood alone remains

My blood alone remains: take it, but do not make me suffer long.

-Marie Antoinette

Somewhere in the city

In the dead of night, one man in his early 30s walked in a hurry while looking over his shoulder. He pulled down the black hood over his head to obscure his face properly, all the while walking and looking at once. He came to a turn and hid himself in the shadows, crouching down behind a dustbin. Eyes roaming everywhere, he spotted a thick metal rod near him. Reaching for it and gripping it tightly, he waited.

No sooner than 5 minutes later another man appeared, adjusting the strap of a bag as his head moved here and there, seemingly looking for the first man. The former stealthily got up from his hiding place as the second man moved ahead, and gripping the metal rod tightly, he hit the man's head hard. The second man dropped on the ground instantly, his eyes wide open. The first man looked troubled for a moment, then the hesitation was gone and determination took its place.

He spotted the second man's bag and opened it. Taking out various things from it, he put them all on ground, then moved the second man's unmoving body near the filthy drain. He poured some chemical he found in the dead man's bag over his head and face. With hissing noise, the chemical started to react and ruined the man's face. Twisting his face in disgust, he took a couple of steps back, still as he contemplated the consequences of his actions. Then he shook his head, reached for the bag, put all stuff back in, wiped clean the metal rod with his hood for finger prints, and walked away.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Next day

BREAKING NEWS - DELHI STYLE KILLING IN MUMBAI; COPY CAT OR KILLER ON MOVE?

An unidentified man was found dead near a gutter in a slum of East Mumbai in early hours of the day. His head was hit with a strong object and acid was used to ruin his face. Local police was already on the investigation, but an unnamed source reported us maybe the Delhi Serial killer has migrated in city and this killing was his way of kick start another innings. For over 3 months Delhi had been terrorized by a killer or a group who has the similar M.O. Delhi Police was slammed by both public and Government for their incompetency. Is the similar fate waiting for Mumbai Police also? Only time will tell.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Somewhere in the world

The same man who had proposed 'The plan' across the border nodded in his phone, then cut it and grinned maniacally. Turning to a side, he faced a room full of computers, operators, telephones, modem and wires which filled every nook and corner of the floor. He met one operator's eyes, who stopped whatever he was doing. As if on cue, the full room went silent and waited for the man to talk.

The man started speaking loudly, "I have news, from across the borders." He eyed as people started looking at each other, murmuring softly. He raised a hand and everyone fell silent.

"The Magician is dead." A collective gasp can be heard, "It's confirmed."

Several people looked shocked, some downright sad. Ignoring them all, he ranted away, "The Magician was a pioneer in our mission. His death will leave a huge hole in our work, a shoe that's hard to fill." He gave a smile, "But I have no doubt in the ability of my countrymen. I am sure, we will go ahead, successfully finish our mission. This will be the only way to honour him. Who's with me?" He bellowed.

Everyone shouted their solidarity in a chorus. The man's grin glinted, eclipsing the shine of the Sun.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++