Chapter 6 - Secrets are like puzzles

Start from the beginning

"I just need to know one thing, and I will ask it once. Where is Johny?" The girl asked, talking slowly but with weight, each word carrying threat. Aslam tried to tackle her, but he barely squirmed as she pressed the gun more against his skin in a warning.

"I dont know." that earned him another punch, taking out a tooth. he spit away the blood, hissing in pain.

"Wrong answer. Lets try once again, where is Johny?" her voice was quieter now, but somehow it made the question sound more dangerous. he gulped, making up his mind not to ask or say anything. after several moments, the girl pulled his hair and banged his head against taxi door.

"Silence will only make it worse, trust me."

"He is not in town." He managed to say as he tried to take breath.

"Good, now we are making progress." she left the hair, slightly backing away, "Where is he?"

"We dont know. I swear none know." his eyes pleaded for her to believe him. she did so, he guessed.

"When he will be back?" she asked.

"This month. we dont know when." He gulped, eyeing the gun, "Who are you? Why you are asking for Johny?"

"None of your business." the fire was gone from her eyes, instead there was a coldness which made him shiver. he was sure she was going to kill him, as she leaned down so that they were face to face now.

"Now, I am going to leave you outside the slum. If anyone ask you how you got these injuries, what will you say?" her voice became unnaturally. . . conversational. he blinked, not believing his ears heard her right. she will let him go? she raised her one eyebrow, silently urging him to talk.

"I. . . fell. on stones." he mumbled.

"Good. Do you know me?" she asked once again. he shook his head.

"Glad we settled it then." she was now on her feet, brushing near the knees even if there was no dirt, "get inside the taxi."

he did so, panting and grunting in pain, and watched as she started driving again. true to her words, she left him outside the slum and drove away, letting him believe he will live for some time after this interaction.

of course he didnt notice the shadowy figure behind him. his belief cost him his life, and next day local PS found him dead inside the gutter.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ETF team was watching the news next day in the discussion room. the day was slow and mostly paper work based. Sakshi looked on as Shree Chotu and Sameer stimultenously watched news and completed paper work. she exhaled, making up her mind to visit her news paper office. Suddenly she jumped, as ACP Mukherjee banged the door open and entered inside, behind her Rawte was glaring at her as he walked inside, eyes still on her as she sat on her chair as if nothing happened. the three men didnt even so much as blinked, Sakshi noticed and frowned. as Rawte busied himself to further paper works and she busied herself with her cell, nobody noticed the way ACP Mukherjee's jaw clenched or eyes narrowed watching the news, the shooting of a member of local criminal gang, Aslam. some police officer was giving statement to media, dismissing the case as the crossfire between some local gangs.

The receptionist knocked on door and asked Rawte to visit Director in her cabin immediately. he did so, and after 10 minutes he came back, informing the team they are going to investigate that petty criminal's shooting case.

"Local police already doing this, why us?" Sameer asked as the team headed for SUVs, him Rawte and Mukherjee in one SUV and Shree Chotu Sakshi in another, with the forensic team in another van and Director's car already shooting forward.