5) Meri Behna? Mastered in Masking

Start from the beginning

'Unless Bade Papa and Paa were brothers.'

Wait. What.

Janvi was so happy and couldn't contain it, she was very very ecstatic to tell me this while I wondered what was wrong with her.

How could this be?

Why would this be?

Janvi was about to clarify my doubts when we heard a knock on the door. When I was going to open it, she held my hand and asked who it was.

'Vansi daadi hu, Janvi.'

'Aayi daadi.'

Quickly she signalled me to shove the frames under her bed, and although I didn't quite understand why, I did.

'Now go hide in the bathroom.' She whispered to me.

Janvi had lost her marbles with her smartness.

'Why?'

'Do you want daadi to question us together and then assume that we patched up?'

Good point.

I rushed to the bathroom because when I couldn't talk straight with my sister, I didn't want my family to think we're back in good terms.

She opened the door and Vanshi Daadi brought a glass of milk and some medicines. From the edge of the bathroom door, I could only see Janvi's back and a faint face of my grandmother.

'Daadi? Ye kya?'

Janvi's question was answered when Daadi made her sit on the bed, she smiled at her granddaughter.

Actual granddaughter?

'Immunity power meds, jaldi se peelo doodh ke saath.'

'Kya daadi, Chaudhary's aap Ko Apne team mein le rahe hai. Main theek...'

And before she could complete her sentence, she sneezed.

Not once or twice.

Three times.

That was her cue that she'd be sick soon.

While G Ma made her gulp the meds, I smiled at how quick she was in falling ill. That poor girl just drank one sip of cold lassi.

Wait, that poor girl?

What is wrong with me.

'Good girl, tumhari mom bhi nakhre karti thi, dawaii se.'

What a weird fact to know about your daughter-in-laws sister.

Janvi smiled, 'Janti hu. Paa hamesha kehte the.'

And immediately G Ma's smile faded, she touched Janvi's head lovingly, 'How is your dad?'

See if it was me, in Janvi's place, I'd totally not get that G Ma was being weird about her daughter-in-law's sister's husband.

But Janvi smiled, took G Ma's hand in hers, 'Paa is absolutely fine.'

'Will he come here this time?'

She sounded hesitant and desparate, Janvi took a deep breath and said she'll try to get him but he's busy and stuff. G Ma collected herself, told Janvi to not skip medicines and looked at the picture of our mothers on the wall.

'I really wish ki tum behne saath aa jaye.' She said still looking at my dead mothers, 'You two are all we have of these two.'

Janvi looked at me from the corner of her eye, while I avoided her gaze, 'Some day when things are better.'