Chapter Six: Haunted by the Past

Start from the beginning

At this moment, Jeno's unit was already making their way through the maze the vehicles had created. Jaemin took down the men in the buildings while the other aimed at the ones below.

"Jeno." The boy paused to face Jaemin. "Look." He saw Jaemin jutted his chin towards something. Following its direction, Jeno watched the scene by the transport vehicle.

He saw Xiaojun blocking a punch from a masked man in black clothing before he got grabbed by his side and thrown towards a car. Not a minute later, the man got charged by another member of the Elites, Hendery, while his guard was down and the latter successfully hit his face with his fist, sending the mask flying.

As soon as the man recovered and faced Hendery, with the mask landing on the ground, Jeno could only widen his eyes in horror. He instantly felt his blood running cold at what he saw.

"Jeno!" Jaemin called out when his partner didn't hesitate to run towards their way.

Meanwhile, Mark had wandered through the cars that were mercilessly destroyed by bullets. He had been doing his part but it wasn't what he really aimed for. While he was still up for his own task, he let his eyes scan the surroundings, searching for the familiar brunette girl who always had her hair tied up.

Where are you, Koeun?

Finally, he spotted her by the transport vehicle. She was fighting with a masked woman, whom Koeun had managed to trip. The woman fell forward, but before her face could hit the road, she propped her hands and made herself stand upside down. She then spun her legs, her boots hitting Koeun's face, causing her to dive backward.

No! Furious, Mark didn't think of second thoughts and ran towards her way, with Haechan yelling his name.

Back to the unknown man, he pushed the boy to the ground after kneeing him on his stomach. As he was staring down at the two agents of the Elites, he felt another swift motion coming in his way. He had underestimated it but still dodged it, although upon doing so, he finally got to see who his next attacker was. When he got taken aback, this made the other see it as an opening and spun to kick him on the face, causing his back to collide at the side of the truck.

Xiaojun and Hendery, who were still down, managed to watch the scene unfold in front of them, both their eyes growing wide in surprise on who the attacker was.

It was Jeno, and he was clearly mad.

In slow motion, as he pushed his foot down, Jeno's eyes were at high intensity, burning cold fire at the man. He couldn't help himself since as soon as he saw his face, the images of his past came flashing back on his mind.

The man was someone he held a grudge on until now— someone who betrayed him to save himself.

"Yuta..." The name he hadn't spoken for a long time rumbled at the back of his throat.

He really hated that name.

Before Jeno could finish him, he flinched when a bullet flew past his shoulder. Whipping his head towards the person, he saw another man aiming his gun at him. He was standing on the hood of a nearby car, towering over them with intimidation.

Taeyong, he thought.

Taeyong didn't have second thoughts in pulling the trigger again— only this time, he was aiming for the kill.

Shit!

Jeno quickly did a back handspring, and another, and another as Taeyong kept on shooting at him. He tried his best to get himself to safety, as he couldn't risk dying at this moment.

The other members of the Elites had already scrambled on the hood of the car Xiaojun was thrown at and hid behind it, feeling the misdirected bullets hitting it.