The Strawberry Milkshake

Start from the beginning

Remus inhaled deeply as he finished the order, ripped off the page, and tucked his pencil and pad in his pocket. "N-No, I, uh, I like men," he said lightly with a small laugh.

Sirius bit his lip and smiled. "Alright. Then just the milkshake and your number."

Remus smiled weakly as he blushed. "I'll get that right out for you."

He turned around and walked over to the counter. He handed Lily the paper with wide eyes and walked behind it, grabbing his cigarettes and lighter from his coat pocket. "I-I'll be back. And no, that's not a mistake. Every type of pie!"

Remus walked out the back door and quickly lit his cigarette, taking a long drag as he closed his eyes. He didn't really like smoking that often, but in high-stress situations, he liked to use them to calm down a bit.

And this?

This was a fucking high-stress situation.

He took a few more drags before dropping it on the ground and putting it out with his foot. He walked inside and back over to Lily who was by the milkshake machine, but noticed that the men now had their pie. Remus groaned slightly as he waited for Lily to finish the shakes, and when she did, he grabbed his tray and put them on it, carefully walking over to the men.

"Here are your shakes," he said with a small smile as he put their milkshakes in front of the men. The blond-haired man's face lit up at this, but the grey-eyed man' eyes never looked away from Remus.

"Please let me know if I can help you with anything else," Remus added as he watched the blond and brown-haired man begin to fight over the order of fries.

He walked away and rejoined Lily who was sitting at a booth in the far corner of the diner, counting her tips on the table. Remus plopped down across from her and sighed.

"How's it going with Mr. Stare," she questioned with a smile.

Remus flopped his head down into his arms and groaned. "Why can't I flirt for shit? He's literally fucking staring at me and I don't know what to say!"

"How about, 'Hello, there, my name is Remus Lupin, and I would really fancy blowing you in the back alleyway—'"

She was stopped short with Remus slapping her arm and glaring at her, face beet-red. She laughed and shrugged, staring to re-count her money.

The men stayed for about half an hour, talking and laughing and being overall loud. Remus didn't mind, though. He found himself looking over at the man every so often, only to see that he was looking right back at him.

He blushed every time they locked eyes.

As it neared five-thirty, Lily went into the back room to clean the grill, which didn't need to be cleaned that thoroughly, as barely anyone had been in there that day, nevertheless ordered hot foot.

Remus counted his own tips as he felt a figure sit at the stool in front of him. He looked up, only to be met with a pair of grey-eyes.

He started fumbling with his money as he blushed yet again, tucking the bills in his jean pocket and looking back at the man with a small smile. "H-Hi."

"Hello," the man said back as he stared at Remus. "I have to say, that was the best strawberry milkshake I've ever had, and let me tell you, I've had a lot of strawberry milkshakes."

Remus arched an eyebrow with a small laugh. "I'm guessing that's your go-to diner order?"

The man shrugged and put out a hand. "Sirius Black."

Remus took it and was surprised to see how big his hands were compared to the man's. "Remus Lupin."

The man chuckled. "What can I say, I love a good strawberry milkshake," he said with a smirk.