Chapter Thirty-Three ~ The Search of His Rose ~ Part Two

Start from the beginning

"Well, I do expect an answer today, Rose," he spoke again, breaking me from my train of thought

"Well, I do expect an answer today, Rose," he spoke again, breaking me from my train of thought. It was the first time he mentioned me by name, which threw my system into a shock from the unfamiliarity.

Did he perhaps name me Rose?

"She died a couple of years ago from the plague," I whispered, my heart still aching from the loss of my beautiful mother. After she had died, it had taken me months before I could smile properly.

It was silent at the table, and I slowly turned my gaze to King Zaros, wondering about his reaction. I was met with a cold face and empty blinking eyes as he held his spoon bleakly. A look of heartbreak passed his face before he resumed back to his passive countenance.

I wanted to ask him about my mother, how they had met, what was she like here...why she ran away.

"She was easily sickened. I guess it's better than decapitation," King Zaros said, after a few seconds before going back to his meal. I watched dumbly as he began to eat his soup once more as if I hadn't just informed him of his long time lover's death.

"King Zaros-"

"Please, don't call me that. What a mouthful," he said, turning to look at me with a raised eyebrow. "Call me Zaros, or father if it doesn't sicken you to the core."

"Well, Zaros," I began, my brain rapidly trying to catch up to his words. Did he just say... father? Did I basically imply that it sickened me to the core to call him father? Gosh. I certainly am asking for a death wish.

"I was wondering about the women in the mountains. Has there been any progress with removing them from the mountain and bringing them home?"

King Zaros took a sip of his wine, holding the cup with the thumb and his index, slightly swishing the cup around. I watched him take another sip before putting his cup down.

"I believe... that's the longest sentence you've said to me. Wait, no. It's the second-longest sentence and both pertain to the same topic. I was simply celebrating with two sips of wine at my glorious achievement."

He huffed out a burst of laughter before shaking his head.

"I sent guards earlier this morning, they should be on their way to relay my message. Don't worry. The women will be freed."

I nodded, my body buzzing with happiness. The women would soon be free and back in the safety of their own homes! How wonderful! I picked up my spoon again, allowing myself to enjoy the warm soup. Now, only my dilemma was left.

"How are you liking the Serapheen Wing?" he asked, while taking a slice of chicken and placing it on his plate.

"It's quite beautiful and comfortable," I uttered quickly, not wanting to offend him with a late reply. I didn't want to give him a reason to rescind his order to free the women.