Thirty-Eight

I know this seems like a bit of a filler because, well, there's no Klaus in this episode. So, lots of fluff. And some Caroline because I love her. Please enjoy and stay safe!

***

Rebekah called Klaus early in the morning to inform him of what runes she saw in the cave system she nearly killed Elena Gilbert in the night before. According to them, there was a white oak tree that was around 300 years after destroying the original. No doubt it was used in various lumber projects. Now it was a matter of which ones and if they could destroy them before other people found out.

Klaus was a bit disheartened that his siblings jumped ship, all but Rebekah, but he ultimately understood why. At least he had his fiancee by his side.

As Klaus poured two mugs of coffee and handed one to Talia who was sitting cross-legged on the small kitchen island, he asked, "You felt this weak all the time?"

She chuckled and took a sip of her piping hot coffee, replying, "Yep. After a little, it felt normal, and then it would feel worse. I'm sorry all of you have to go through that shit storm."

"It gives me true empathy on how you feel or, for the time being, felt," he said. "You said you feel great."

"I do," she said. "I mean, I'm not able to be as badass as an Original, but I feel great."

"Is it too much to ask for soup?" he asked.

"Mmm... not at all," she said, running her fingers through his hair. "But it'll be made from a can this time."

"I'll take whatever."

"Good." She kissed him. "Because I don't run a restaurant."

He chuckled and sat down on the couch, nursing his cup and watching his fiancee make a simple canned soup.

"You're staring," she murmured, watching the pot in the microwave.

"Can I not adore my future wife?" Klaus asked.

She blushed a little and replied, "I suppose you can."

"Your heart sped up when I called you my future wife," he pointed out with a grin. 

"Well, I like the sound of it," she admitted, taking the pot out of the microwave when it beeped and served some soup in a bowl. "Here you are, future husband."

"Thank you, love," he said, carefully eating spoonfuls.

"Do we have to stay in?" she asked, sitting beside him.

"Yes," he replied. "My mother, Finn, and any other Mikaelson enemies are out looking to kill you since if you die, so will the rest of us."

"And there's nothing we can do?"

"Nothing you can do and since I am here to protect you with my life, there's nothing I can do either except, you know, protect you with my life."

"Why didn't we run and hide? Isn't my apartment the first place people would look?"

"I think they would know you have the Mikaelsons looking out for you."

"Only you."

"And Rebekah. She'd be here at the drop of a pin."

He finished the bowl and placed it on the coffee table, lying down across the couch with his head in Talia's lap.

"I feel dreadful."

"I know, darling," she replied, playing with his hair. "You were there for me when I was feeling like this and I'm here for you now."

"Thank you. I didn't realize how awful it was all the time."