Twenty

Talia's heart beat a mile a minute knowing that Klaus was at her doorstep with his hand covering her mouth.

"Please do not panic," he begged, sounding more exasperated than desperate.

She licked his hand which caused him to pull away. While he was distracted, she attempted to slam the door, but he quickly snuck into the house, slithering his way through the small gap like a snake.

"You've invited me in before," he explained. "Now, please do not scream."

She backed into the kitchen and grabbed a knife, muttering, "I won't unless you give me a probable cause."

"You know I would never hurt you."

"I won't take your word on that." She still held onto the knife with a death grip. "What are you doing in my home?"

"I have to explain some things, Talia."

"Then do so."

"Might I sit down?"

"You already hopped into my house like it's yours. It's not like I can stop you."

"I was invited in."

"Your brother at least has the decency to ask if he can come in despite the fact he's already been invited in."

"I'll keep it in mind."

"Start talking or I'll get stabby."

A grin spread across his handsome face as he sat down on the sofa, legs slightly outspread as he placed an arm on the arm of the sofa. 

"Go ahead," she grumbled, sitting on the opposite side of the couch with the knife on her lap.

Before starting, he quickly grabbed the knife off her lap.

"What the hell!" she shouted. "Give it back!"

"I do not want you to hurt yourself," he said truthfully, placing the knife on the counter before returning to the couch. "I will not hurt you and I intend to prove that."

"You have a lot to explain, demon boy."

"So you do have the dreams. I almost thought you were a figment of my imagination."

"Yes, I have the dreams. We're not here to play nice. You're here to explain yourself."

"Yes, I am." He leaned forward a little and looked her in the eyes. "Are you sure you wish to know?"

"I'm sure."

He leaned back. "I will spare you the sob story of human Klaus Mikaelson and get to the vampire years."

"I'm listening."

"From turning 18 as a human to the 1900s, I had seen glimpses of a beautiful young woman in my dreams. She was angelic and graceful, unaware of it too. She was so breathtakingly gorgeous."

"Flattery gets you nowhere."

"Flattery is not a lie, darling." He stopped to admire her for a moment before continuing. "When the 1900s rolled around, they became stronger. Around 18 years later, I saw her in my dreams. Do you know what that was about?"

"Um, I guess I might be a reincarnation of myself from a century ago," she answered nonchalantly. "A woman named Natalia was killed by someone named Mikael in the 1920s and I was the second chance."

He visibly stiffened at the mention of Mikael.

"Elijah and Klaus Mikaelson," she said aloud. "You're a thousand years old and from Europe. Mikaelson...son of Mikael. Was he your father?"