Thirteen

Some say that death is the end, that nothing exists for the person that dies after they're laid to rest in a wooden coffin wearing their Sunday best. On the other hand, some claim death is merely a stepping stone onto the path of existence, eternal life in a safe haven following the death on Earth. Talia knew better, though.

After death, some continue to exist on Earth and others are existing on the Other Side, mainly those supernatural beings who lost the time they had left on the mortal plane. As for humans, that remained in the air.

To Talia, everyone that passed deserved a funeral, whether it belonged to someone wonderful, someone horrible, or someone who had vampire blood in their system and gets another shot at living. 

Rose didn't get one, though, and that angered the Empath. Everyone was preoccupied with trying to save Elena from the big bad Klaus that Rose's passing nearly flew over everyone's heads. 

Talia had worked behind the bar the previous night and didn't want anyone to notice something was off, even going as far as to buy good coverage concealer to hide the fact that her eyes were bagged and puffy. Luckily, she didn't have to work the next day, so she laid in bed and sulked for a while.

Then her phone rang and she answered it, asking, "Who is this?"

"It's Elijah," the man on the other end responded, his accent ringing clear as day.

"Why the hell does everyone have my phone number?" she murmured, laying back down in bed. "Better yet, why are you calling me?"

"I heard that Rose-Marie passed away. I'm sorry for your loss."

"I didn't know her that well," she mumbled in response.

"You cared for her. As an Empath, you feel emotions on an entirely different level, even more than that of a newborn vampire."

"Fun." She bit her lip. "I get I'm important and stuff, but why do you check up on me? I don't understand. I'm no doppelganger."

"You are very overlooked from what I hear. Your powers are stronger than you know. The June incident unlocked the abilities, but you have yet to truly use them."

"I've used them," she defended.

On the other side of the line, the immortal in his everyday suit responded, "But not to their full potential."

"And why does this involve you?"

"I want to help you enhance your abilities."

"How come, suit and tie?"

"Defense. The doppelganger and her friends have vampiric protection and you have me when necessary, but you should create a reliable source of protection."

"Nobody's coming to kill me."

"But people have before, Natalia. I know you better than that. You truly worry about what could happen to those you love after everything that has happened to you."

"You're not my shrink."

"Then please stop being so difficult."

Swallowing her pride, she sat up and asked, "Where are you?"

"I will bring you here instead. I do not exactly trust that you won't disclose my resting location to your friends that are not my biggest fans."

"They're my sister's friends if anything. So when do you plan to pick me up?"

"Is now okay?"

"It's not ideal-"

There was a knock on the door. "I am already here."

She hung up the phone and shouted, "I'm in my pajamas, suit and tie! If you want me to go anywhere with you, I need to be in socially acceptable clothing and not my cat sweatpants and inappropriate graphic shirt!"