Chapter Thirteen

It was hard enough to leave my dad but he insisted I continue my life. His main excuse was how he's already lived his life and I couldn't stop mine each time he's hit serious bumps in the road. It wasn't fair to me. The more of I thought of it, the more I agreed, but that didn't mean I didn't like it.

I pushed everything else to the side but now that I was back I had to deal with Embry.

Embry's whose phone calls I've ignored and texts. Purposely. I wasn't capable of handling my situation with him. Not with what happened before I left. I couldn't bare to think about what he could've done since I've been gone. Had he moved on? He had went back to his precious Victoria? Those negative thoughts plagued my mind often. Never did I bring it up to my sister. Nor did I silence the thoughts by actually speaking to him.

It's been eight weeks.

Two months since I've left.

Even I wouldn't want to speak to me for disappearing for that long.

My mother had been MIA for a month. She had apparently made contact with my father one day when I was out to grab supplies for the house. The old hag didn't even bother to leave Alexis or me a message. But it was good to know she was still alive. We had one scare, god forbid we both managed to become parent less within a month.

My phone dinged as I walked through the terminal of the airport. Paul's phone lit up with the notification of a text underneath his name.

» I'm by baggage so keep an eye out.

Other than Alexis, he's the only person I've really kept in contact with. For some reason he put me at ease. I could share the familial issues I was going through. He was great friend to have and put me in check when I needed it the most. Every time I found myself asking about Embry and that girl; he would shut me up quicker than anything to halt my negative thoughts. He always reminded me that if I really wanted to know, I would ask him myself. And that Victoria wasn't a threat. It was easier talking to him than to Embry. There were no strings attached and he was good for a laugh. He kept me updated on everyone and looked out for Alexis for me. My secret to knowing everyone's been doing okay without having to reach out to them. Needless to say, it was an extremely awkward time to leave.

The events played in my head over and over again. The awkward moment when his ex girlfriend showed up. The comforting words Paul had given me. The invite to the bonfire I missed out on. And... the kiss. The first kissed we ever shared before I was torn away from him. How could things go back to normal when I hadn't even contacted him? He said so himself... it wasn't that easy. What wasn't about us being together at the time? If he hadn't wanted to be with his ex then why would he kiss me then. All these thoughts kept swirling in my head preventing me from reaching out to him.

"Hey!" I beamed brightly at Paul who embraced me the moment he found me. He was much taller than I was, my head barely reached the base of his neck.

"Welcome back Triscuit." Paul had given me that nickname when I showed him the cheese and crackers I was eating one night. It was all I could manage to eat. He assisted me with the baggage and we made small talk. It was an early Sunday morning. I was happy he was able to pick me up at six thirty in the morning. Tacoma International Airport was the only place the airplane my dad got me landed, it was in Seattle so I was very grateful. The drive there and back might've been taxing on him. "Anyway-" He slammed the trunk of his door shut as he rounded the car to open the door for me. "Let's get some grub. You definitely lost weight." Paul commented as his eyes briefly flickered at my figure. It took me by surprise for him to notice, considering I was in a pair of dark jeans and a large, baggy sweater. I forgot how cold Washington got. But Paul standing next to me helped me shed the few layers I had before I exited the airport.