Chapter One

End of Time

I tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear as I stared up at the school building before me. La Push High. It was where my sister attended school. I hadn't seen her in months due to our parents separating. Since my mom was the cause of it, it was easier for her to move back to her hometown in La Push while I stayed with my father in Allentown who took it worse than she had. I couldn't blame either of them. I tried to stay as mutual as possible, but I saw both sides. My mother lost a love she thought would be for eternity. She decided it wasn't fair to string him along and being married to a man she was no longer truly happy with wasn't the way to go. So they spoke about it, and though she would always have a love for him, she was no longer in love with him. My father took it well at first, he understood where she was coming from and didn't want to end on bad terms. They do still remain friends. But the pain of the love of his life leaving him stuck. He was a mess for the first few months as I predicted he would be, so I stayed. I stayed to look after him and coach him to get him back on his feet. He would've gone into a deep depression if I had just up and left. I loved my father too much to do that to him.

It was a surprise that I was here. The only other person who knew of my arrival was my mother, naturally. I had visited her before I went to pick up my sister. We grabbed breakfast and caught up. She had asked why I visited and how my father had been. And I told her everything. He was finally moved on, happier, and even began to date this new woman who was widowed. That's the only reason I left, because I knew he was stable again. I wouldn't have if he wasn't. The reason my mother didn't know about this herself is because of my father's promotion in his company and her new job as well. Both jobs were demanding therefore they had little to no time to catch up and speak on Saturdays like they used to to check up on their kids. I originally had wanted to move with my mother because at heart I knew I was partially a nomad. I could never stay in one place for a long time. I wanted to see the world and all it had to offer. So moving from time to time was something I didn't mind. I wanted at most to get my associates degree in liberal arts at a community college before I traveled.

I checked the time on my watch; 1:35. Their school ended around 2:00 and I was hoping to catch my sister before she hitched a ride with one of her friends. She was still too young to drive, she had a late birthday compared to everyone in her year only making her fifteen. While I was seventeen turning eighteen within a couple months. The front doors of the school busted open and out came several jacked up guys with similar hair cuts. If you were far away enough, they could've all been the same guy. But they varied in height even though they were easily all over six foot. I wasn't too far from them, I could see the clear differences in their face and body sizes as well. Some weren't as wide as the others but they all equally looked fit and athletic. Maybe they were part of some sports team in the school. My eyes peeled away from them before I could make direct eye contact when my phone rang. I checked to see who had been calling and it was Stephan, my boyfriend. Probably soon to be ex because the longest distance thing wasn't going to work out for me. The only reason I'm still with him is because he's with some family as of right now in Seattle so he wasn't too far from me.

"I've got a surprise for you." Was how he greeted me through the phone. Stephan was your average American boy. The light brown hair whisked to one side, the bright green eyes and the pearly white smile. He dressed very preppy and wore things like Sperry's, and khakis, and pink button up shirts. Or 'salmon' he liked to defend himself. Was I any better though? I dressed in all different styles but lately I fancied wearing things that matched his style. I was in a pair of beige heels, light gray slacks, and a white blouse with jewels on the Peter Pan collar, and a light pink blazer. I cared for him him. I did, but we were only together for a little under half a year and with this move, I knew it wasn't going to last. I groaned and said if it was another surprise giant teddy bear to my new address, I'd kill him. He already gave me two and they took up a majority of my old room. I didn't know how it would fit at my new one. "Oh stop it, it isn't that this time. You're at La Push right?"