Chapter Twelve

Embry's POV

Six weeks.

It's been six grueling weeks since I've last seen or heard from Tristan. The day we finally shared our first kiss, she received a call from the hospital saying her father suffered from a stroke. She had taken the first flight out of there with Alexis. It was only right that they do so. They were after all, his only daughters. Given the fact their mom was rarely around and the divorce... who else was going to take care of him?

After the first week, Alexis had come back on her own. Seth and I had picked her up that day. I naively thought Tristan was going to be there. When I saw the solemn look on Alex's face, I knew she wouldn't be back for awhile. But for this long? Without a call? It made me wonder to no end if I had done something wrong. The last memory we shared was tainted by my ex girlfriend. Who to no end as well, hassled me over and over with texts and phone calls.

» you said we'd be together forever

» you said we were going to get married

» I still love you

» you would've never given up on us if she didn't come along

26 missed calls.

"Embry! You were always so bad at picking up phone calls. Anyway, I'm bored, entertain me! I'm free for you whenever you're ready to hang out!"

Beep.

"Hey, I'm free today at five. Let's go to our favorite coffee shop in Seattle! I'll drive us. It'll be so much fun! Miss you handsome!

Beep.

All petty, empty words. I knew she never meant it, she was just jealous. I heard of the things she'd done since we've been broken up. With enough guys around school to let me know she had been over it a long time ago. Not much time after I had broken up with her either. So why was she back to plague my life all over again? These constant thoughts topped with my constant worries about Tristan occupied my head a majority of the day. Mentally checked out, I felt like a robot going into school day in and out.

The pack had enough of it too. Nights patrolling with me was hell for them. It made everyone somber during the shifts... so much so that people would try their best to switch being with me. Seth would take a majority of the shifts. He read my pain like a book and tried his best to ease my sorrows. Though being with him wasn't always ideal either, his happy thoughts countered my dark ones. While I would sulk, he'd reminisce about his day with Alexis, who he normally had left not even ten minutes ago.

Who am I to complain when I'm the real downer?

My phone pinged and I again jumped at the first second. I didn't want to waste even a millisecond if it could be Tristan. I wanted to reach her right away.

» baby lets go to la push today

Now Victoria was delusional. Even at school she'd be trying to play it off as if we had gotten back together. I ignored her for the most part but lately I've been biting back. I couldn't stand her constant harassment. My mate was gone, and I was miserable. From months of being with her, I knew it was best to ignore the text. Answering meant I was giving her attention she craved. The thread of texts were endless one sided messages from her unsaved number. Yet she still didn't get the hint. She tried her hand at calling. To which I let ring until it ended. Just for her to try again.

I didn't want to turn my phone off or change my number. How else would Tristan be able to contact me? My heart yearned for her in ways I never thought possible. I missed the way her hair smelled and the way her skin felt against mine. She was soft, so soft I always to keep her in my arms forever.