Chapter Two

End of Time 2

(Tristan is on the left, Alexis is on the right on the picture.)

The car ride home was so quick because of how much Alexis and I were having fun catching up. I asked her about school, her new friends, soccer, and Seth. She blushed at the mention of him and she told me how they were just friends. I rolled my eyes at her and told her she could tell me about it later. The cars were all parked either in front of the lawn or on the driveway. As we all were making our way towards the front door, I accidentally bumped my shoulder against Embry's and felt a shock as we touched. It was my turn to blush and apologize.

"It's okay." He sent me a warm smile. As we all settled into the house, I left them with the television on and went to the kitchen to work some pre made magic. There was no time to cook things from scratch because I was starved and I knew they probably were too. Alexis asked if she could invite a couple girlfriends over and I told her it wouldn't be a problem. "Do you need any help?" My heart skipped a beat inside my chest at the sound of his voice. He had a certain scent that only he could have that I was beginning to grow very fond of. He leaned up against the island I was at, with his hand fairly close to mine. He was intoxicating. I told him I wouldn't mind a helping hand. "So what can I do for you." I told him to get another pot and boil the water, and while he was waiting for that to get to the rift temperature, he could make trays of garlic bread with me. "Should I set up the table?" He asked after he did everything else, he even threw the pasta in the hot water when needed. I told him he didn't have to, but he did anyway.

"So–" Alexis popped into the kitchen after thirty minutes. Her friends had come by earlier and introduced themselves to me before they all went to the living room to hang out. She took a piece of pasta from the ready set and slurped it into her mouth. I threw her a scolding look and she put her hands up as an apology. I didn't notice her and Embry share a look before she sat on the stool of the island by me. "How long have you and Stephan been going out for anyway? You barely mentioned him whenever we spoke. Like I didn't even know you guys were together."

"Honestly I didn't even know we were together. We just started hanging out a lot more and I guess threw kisses in and every now and then." I rolled my eyes at the realization that we never really made it official. "He kind of just claimed me as his own. We never put a label on it. And I didn't have time between dad, work and school to meet anyone else. He was the only one to work around my schedule and kind of just stuck." Embry seemed more or less relieved at the information, or I could've just imagined it. Alexis just 'oh'ed and sat in her seat quietly. "I'm breaking it off anyway. I'm not having a long distance... whatever it is with him." It was like Embry read my mind because he came by with two large bowls for the meat sauce I finished making in the pot. He helped me pour the sauce into each bowl and I couldn't help but blush at how close he was to me again.

"Good. There are other fish in the sea." Alexis hopped off the stool, she seemed happy with my answer. "Is that why you're meeting him Saturday?" I nodded my head and smacked her finger away from the sauce from the bowl. She took her hand and went for the pot.

"He is your friend." I reminded her.

"Oh, he's not a close friend." She waved it off like it was nothing because she stalked off. I wiped the sweat off my forehead. It was from the heat of the oven and stove at the same time. I thanked Embry for helping me out.

"It wasn't a problem. You were nice company to keep." He said with a cheeky grin. We barely spoke to each other but we were in a comfortable silence. I heard my phone vibrate and I saw Stephan's name pop up along with a text saying he made it to his grandparents safely. The look on Embry's face seem to falter. "Do you love him?" I was taken aback by the question. I didn't expect it from him at least. Why did he want to know anyway? I stared at his features and my eyes followed his strong jawline and managed to find its way to his lips. I bit my own wanting to know what it was like to kiss him. I shook those thoughts out of my head. I technically wasn't single at the moment, I shouldn't have been thinking like that. Embry seemed to have noticed and taken a step closer. "Do you?"