xiii - 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘶𝘦

Start from the beginning

"You're quiet." Scarlett mentioned as she sat at her vanity desk, dainty fingers securing her teardrop emerald earrings through her ears. Verity merely hummed in response.

The two women were like a pair of old friends at this point. Verity was stood by the long mirror, placed at the corner of the long bedroom. The pair of them were not in their gowns yet, in fact Verity hadn't moved out of her grey smart smock dress yet as she applied her makeup for the evening.

It proved how comfortable Scarlett felt in her friends company as she sat at her glossy dark oak vanity in her black silk and lace chemise, sitting back slightly and pouting at what to do with her platinum blonde hair.

"Tie it up." Verity offered as she spotted Scarlett's pouting lips and her shining brown eyes glaring at her own reflection with a level of frustration.

"I always tie it up." She sulked, "tonight is different. I want to look special." The American then added as she tucked a strand of long hair behind her ear.

"Tonight means so much to Arthur, Verity." She said, looking at Verity's green eyes through the mirror's reflection. "I want to look my best and be my best."

"You will." Verity assured, laying her hand on her shoulder, as she wordlessly set to work on styling Scarlett's hair.

It was such a blessing to work with, soft, long silky strands that sat where they were told, styled to how they were managed and set beautifully into the pretty ponytail Verity had designed.

She'd purposefully left a strand loose at the front in a sort of fringe, which naturally curled rather sweetly into a gentle twist.

"See. You look absolutely stunning." Verity smiled tenderly, feeling like a big sister all over again as she watched Scarlett gushing over the hair style.

"Arthur will be blown away." Verity affirmed with a confident smile.

-

The grandfather clock in the hall chimed loudly at 8 o clock, it's loudening sounds reverberating around the space as the two women descended the stairs into the hallway where the Shelby brothers had let themselves in.

Scarlett led the way, wearing a beautiful silk forest green ball gown style dress with a pair of silk gloves that matched her dress. She looked like a princess straight out of a fairy tale book, making her way down the stairs into the arms of her 'Prince'. Maybe a prince that liked roughing people up a bottle of whisky every now and again but - he was her prince none the less.

Verity followed behind her fellow singer, careful not to tred on her dress. Verity had gone for a simpler floor length dress, it was a more figure hugging short sleeved silver dress - but with beautiful silver tassel details that added a layer of sparkling texture. Scarlett had helped her with her hair in the end, twisting it into a fashionable updo that was popular and stylish - and happened to suit Verity to a T.

They stopped in the hall and both searched for the looks of approval.

It did not take Scarlett long to find hers. Arthur was by no means a soft touch around anyone - apart from Scarlett. Verity had lost count of the amount of times she'd seen an angry, deeply troubled soldier fall to pieces and soften like butter at the sight of his sweet songbird. Scarlett resonated with him like no other - and maybe the two weren't the best at communicating with one another but - from what Verity saw between their glances - it was love.

"You're so bloody gorgeous -" Arthur had rushed to say as he drew a gushing Scarlett into his arms, drawing her close. He said something else in a low voice but the content of his sentence was muffled, his face somewhat buried in her neck. Scarlett's tone of laughter alerted Verity that perhaps it was something she didn't want to hear.