19 | feeling alive

Start from the beginning

All that was left was for Sakusa to agree but by the look on his face, it didn't seem like he was going to be easily swayed.

(Y/N) placed her hand on her chin and brainstormed ways to convince Sakusa. Finally, an idea popped into her mind. "Aha!"

She knew that Sakusa was always caught up on practicing and getting better, so why not use beach volleyball as a way to practice? By playing volleyball in the sand, players are forced to work their legs twice as hard as they would have to on the hard floor. They would also have to learn to balance and receive twice as hard since the sand wasn't solid.

After explaining this to Sakusa, he thought hard and long before getting up from his seat and onto the sand, much to his displeasure. Komori watched in amazement as Sakusa took his position on the sand and gave (Y/N) a thumbs up.

"(L/NNNN)! You should join us!" Matsushima whined out.

"J-Join you guys? I would just hold you guys back..." She nervously waved her hands and laughed.

"Nonsense! It'll be fun!"

"If you guys don't mind, then sure..."

"Of course, we don't mind! Right?" Matsushima looked around as Komori and Yoneda profusely nodded. Sakusa remained silent and shrugged.

(Y/N) ended up on Matsushima and Sakusa's team while going up against Komori and Yoneda. "Bring it onnn!"

As time passed, a crowd began to form around them. They were intrigued by the skill level of the players and found it entertaining to watch.

"These youngsters are amazing!"

"Do you think they might play for the V.Leagues?"

"Possibly Division 2 or 3."

Just as they said that Yoneda spiked off Sakusa's block, making the ball fly towards the backline. Matsushima was determined to win and ran after the ball, but when he dived for it, he slipped on the sand and dived face-first into the sand. The ball dropped right onto the line as Matsushima was still lying there.

Yoneda broke into hysterical laughter while Matsushima slowly got up with his face covered in sand. Everyone looked concerned for the latter except Yoneda, who laughed so hard that he fell onto his knees and starting smacking the sand. (Y/N) quickly rushed to Matsushima's side and handed him a bottle of water.

After washing off the sand, Matsushima quickly turned his glare to Yoneda, who to some extent, controlled his laughter. "Why you little-"

Matsushima ran after Yoneda, and with Iizuna not there to stop them, they ended up chasing each other for hours. Komori had tried to step in, but he risked getting trampled by the two and decided to let them go at it.

They stopped once Matsushima heard the music of the ice cream truck stop by the beach. His ears perked, and he halted. "Ice cream!"

• • •

The sound of waves hitting the shore filled the air as the sun slowly dipped into the horizon. The sky consisted of an assortment of shades, a blend of reds, oranges and yellows. It was breathtakingly beautiful.

Matsushima, Yoneda, and Komori had left to get some ice cream, leaving Sakusa and (Y/N) alone together. They sat together in silence as (Y/N) stared into the horizon of the waves.

Peace. Serenity. Contentment. That was all she could feel. The waves were tinted vermilion, with underlying streaks of blue that clashed with it.

"Remember the promise I made back then?" (Y/N) abruptly asked, breaking Sakusa out of his trance.