the underworld is cold

Hot summer days in a secluded field of flowers. A field of white narcissus' surrounded by a forest. Three-year-old Persephone was struggling to make a flower crown with dead flowers, and Hades sat beside her, listening as the young girl happily chatted with him.

Instead of the emotionless facade that he always had up, the corners of his mouth was lifted up in a smile. His black robes spread out behind him, the souls of the dead, killing the flowers beneath it.

"There." Persephone smiled, her chubby face turning red as she stood and placed the flower crown on his head.

"It's beautiful, my love." Persephone looked at her feet and twisted nervously before plopping back down onto the grass, flowers dying within a perfect 30 centimetres radius of her.

She knew it wasn't right, he was way older than her and he could never feel the same way, but she couldn't help the giant crush that she had on him.

Helios' presence was leaving and making way for Selene, the goddess of the moon to watch over. The air was getting a little bit chillier and the sky had turned a deep shade of orange. It was time.

"Do you have to go?" Young Persephone pouted and fiddled with the stiff dead plants.

"I'm afraid so, my love, your mother wouldn't like the thought of me hanging around you." He placed a hand on her cheek, his cold touch comforting to the goddess of spring.

"Tomorrow?" She perked up, her forest-green eyes hopeful.

"I promise." He stuck out his pinky finger and she stuck out hers, interlocking as they made a pinky promise.

He extended his arms and hugged her tightly, kissing her forehead before he stood and disappeared into the shadows.

She was brought out of the memory by his deep voice, "I, uh, wanted to tell you." He scratched his head and allowed her to pass, Cerberus jumping on her, front paws on her shoulders, three faces licking her own.

Now that she had reunited with her mother, her perfect, godly memory was returning, allowing her to remember everything since the time of her birth.

She shrugged, looking deep in thought as she proceeded to pat Cerberus' heads, "My mum said I couldn't see you anymore."

Hades sighed and fell onto the couch, slumping as his hands rubbed his face. Persephone sat beside him, the large dog lying down on her lap, licking her hand.

"It's crazy how the achlýs will mask demigods who are battling monsters and wearing armour, but it won't mask this outfit that my mum made me wear." She gestured to the chiton.

"You could always ask Hecate to help you control it."

Persephone shrugged and it was silent for a while, "This has been such a crazy couple of days - like not even a week ago, I didn't even know who my mum was... and now, I find out that I'm a daughter of a goddess, and that I'm a goddess as well," she stared at the three dog heads, all eyes closed in relaxation, "I can't be the spring goddess." Persephone scoffed to herself.

"Flower, ever since you were born, you were sprouting plants whenever you wanted, wherever you wanted - " Hades started.

"It's not that, it's just, how can be the goddess of spring when I kill any plants that I touch?" She frowned.

"Persephone," He held one of her hands with both of his, "you are perfect just the way you are. You were created by the gods, for your purpose."

"Who says gods don't make mistakes?"