How She Dreams - Part 7

"This doesn't make sense. Are you sure you don't know this guy from somewhere?" Whitney questioned Chloe while they ate lunch at school on Monday.

"Yeah, I'm sure Friday was the first time I have ever seen him other than in my dreams" Chloe retorted impatiently, the conversation had been running in circles with the same questions being asked more times than necessary, Chloe was starting to get irritated.

"For now I think we just have to assume that Chloe has a very romantic secret admirer" Liliana jokingly nudged Chloe with her elbow. At this Chloe turned bright red and hid her face behind a math textbook that was propped open on top of the table. Liliana grabbed the book and pushed it away from Chloe raising her eyebrows in a knowing way she asked "right Chloe?"

"No that's ridiculous I don't have a secret admirer!" Chloe was embarrassed and enthralled with the idea that this could be true but she knew otherwise. This was more than just some high school drama, Chloe sensed that this was something concerning more than her and the mysterious boy. Liliana's comment had relived the tension between Chloe and Whitney and it had diverted the conversation from continuing to run in endless circles. Chloe's mood was lightened considerably, and she was able to joke about the situation for the rest of lunch.

   By the last period of the day Chloe recognized the signs of an oncoming cold. It started with a feeling of dryness in the back of her throat, no matter how many times she left class to get a drink of water she could not quench her thirst. An hour later as she walked home she began to cough, they were harsh dry coughs that left Chloe desperately searching for moments in which she could breathe normally. She was also in dire need of a tissue but unfortunately was left with no choice but to use the sleeve of her winter jacket. Chloe was slightly disgusted with the idea that her clothes were now covered with the contents of her nose, but preferred not to have the evidence of her illness smeared across her face. At 4:00 Chloe lay in bed, her eyes streaming with tears created by a combination of coughing and sneezing. The consequence of the abrupt disturbance in her health left Chloe weak with exhaustion. Her face was drained of all natural colour, the rouge of her cheeks that was usually so prominent was nowhere to be found and the pink of her lips was now only an awful parody of what should be. Even the blue of her eyes seemed to seep away and disappear to an unknown world under Chloe's skin where the colour from her life had been locked away.

   Chloe was not the kind of person that was frequently sick. She couldn't remember the last time she had had a cold or any other kind of illness. Unfortunately now that she had contracted a cold it was taking an excessive toll on her physical and mental being.

Monday January 10, 2011

I feeling extremely disgusting at the moment, it's as if all the times I have avoided becoming sick are now coming back to haunt me. My nose is full of unmentionable amounts of sickly slime, in the last hour I have already used a whole box of tissues and had to send my dad to buy more. My sinuses are incredibly painful and are creating the sensation of jackhammers drilling constantly at my temple, it's as if they are attempting to reach and destroy the workings of my brain. Although the imaginary jackhammers aren't the cause of my slowed mental process, they are not helping me concentrate in anyway. It took twice as long as usual to find the key that opens the backdoor, usually I can clearly distinguish between my front door and backdoor key based on the pattern and spacing of the bittings. But today my memory of the keys were lost and I had to guess, I tried the same key three times, continually putting more pressure on the bow of the key before I realized it was not going to open the door. After that I somehow made it out of my coat and boots, up the stairs and into bed. I'm not sure how I managed this while I was having a coughing fit that was made worse by the cold air that my lungs were exposed to. Now I am lying in bed trying to distract my brain from the turmoil that it is in because of that boy. I thought writing about my physical pain would be enough reason to change the focus of my thoughts, but it has just brought on a spell of boredom that my brain has now filled with questions. Who is he? Am I going insane? How and why is he in my dreams? I have never seen this boy in my entire life but somehow he's in my dreams and I can't stop thinking about him. He's a virus that has infected my brain with thoughts of him and strange feelings whenever I think of him. I crave him like a starving person craves food or like a lost person craves direction. But I also fear him, the knowledge that something different is happening terrifies me, it gives me chills to think of him in my head while he is also some were in the tangible world. I don't believe in the supernatural, as much as I love stories about magic and alternate realities I base my beliefs on the science and logic of our world. And in our world it is not realistic to have these instances occur as they have.