How She Dreams - Part 17

Ring... Ring... Ring...

   Please, please pickup.

Ring... Ring...

"You have reached the Acker household; we can't come to the phone right now. Please leave a message after the beep."

Beep.

   Marc hung up and hit redial.

Ring... Ring... Ring...

   I'm so so sorry. Please be ok, please. I'm sorry.

Ring... Ring...

"You have reached the Ac-"

   Marc slammed the phone down. Why did I leave her there? I thought she would be fine if I just called her to make sure she got home. Now she's not answering her phone. I really hope she's ignoring me. Please Chloe, be at home!

   Marc picked up the phone and tried for the millionth time to reach the girl he had abandoned.

Ring... Ring... Ri-

"Hello?" A young boy's voice answered the phone.

Thank you. "Could I speak to Chloe please?"

"She's at the hospital."

"What? Is she ok?"

"I don't know right now." The boy's voice caught with a silent sob.

Marc paused. "When she comes home could you let her know that Marc called?"

"Sure." There was silence at the other end of the phone. "Bye."

"Thank you."

The boy hung up leaving Marc listening to the dial tone.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

   The sound was like a heart monitor indicating the loss of a life; Chloe's life, His life. A beautiful beating heart ending in an unforgiving, unending dial tone.

   Marc slowly put the phone down. What have I done? And what in the world should I do now?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you like it?

Yes, I know it's short but it was the only way I knew how to write this section.