How She Dreams - Part 19

So here is the next part, this is a longer part but I promise it's interesting. I have been so excited to write this since I started this story, you all get to know more about what is actualy happening. :D

Hope you like it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   The week continued in this fashion, Chloe was constantly pulled into her dreams by fortuitous moments of fatigue. Each day there were new messages on her answering machine, she avoided the phone and was startled by any incoming calls. To the confusion of her family she pretended to be out whenever the phone was for her. She didn't want to deal with Marc and his weak attempts to contact her. I don't know why he's calling me, and right now I don't care. If he want's to apologize he has to come see me in person.

   On Friday she got her wish. Chloe was lying in bed reading a book when the door bell rang. She jumped at the noise, the loud ringing of the old door bell had always frightened her but it had become familiar throughout her life. Jackson called to Chloe through their bedrooms wall to answer the door; he obviously felt as Chloe did and didn't want to go down stairs. Groaning, Chloe quickly hopped down to the front door, she didn't need her crutches any longer but she was still trying to keep weight off her ankle.

   On the other side of the door stood a boy with dirty-blond hair and smoky grey eyes who Chloe had still not forgiven.

"Come to laugh at me?" Chloe's tone was harsh as she indicated her still swollen ankle.

"No."

"For some reason I really don't believe that."

"I came to apologize."

"Why? You obviously don't care what happens to me."

"That's not true, I do care, I shouldn't but I do."

Chloe gazed at Marc curiously.

"Chloe I'm so, so sorry. I shouldn't have left you; I should have taken you to the hospital myself." Marc's eyes contained a deep remorse and Chloe could see that he meant what he said. Despite her ability to see his regret she was not ready to forgive him.

   There was a silence between the two.

"Why shouldn't you care?"

There was more silence. "Because I'm not allowed to care."

"Says who?" Her voice was defiant.

"My contract."

Chloe furrowed her forehead as she processed this information.

"What exactly does your contract say?"

Marc stood with his mouth hanging slightly open obviously trying to decide what to say. A sigh escaped Marc's lips. "Chloe, I owe you an explanation."

Chloe raised her eyes. "Really?" Marc didn't appear to recognize or register the sarcasm filling her voice.

"Can you meet me tomorrow? So, I can have time to figure out how to explain this properly?"

"Where?"

"How about TownPark? At about 4, after I get off work?"

"Fine, but you better be ready to tell me the truth."

"I will." For once Marc said goodbye before Chloe closed the door on him.

   Four-o-clock felt like it took forever to come. Chloe told her parents that she was going to Liliana's house for the afternoon and told Liliana to tell her parents that she was in the washroom if they called. Of course Liliana wanted to know what was happening but Chloe told her she would explain later. At noon Chloe got dressed and walked slowly to the park. She was a few hours early but she felt calm out in the fresh air. As she waited she sat against a big tree that was mostly clear of snow. She sat with her head leaning back, gazing up at the wisps of clouds passing overhead. The sun was sinking in the sky and reflected brightly against the snow covered ground. As she sat she daydreamed, many thoughts ran through her head, but the only one that made any sense to her was her fascination with what Marc was going to tell her.