How She Dreams - Part 2

• Dedicated to Sunghee Bang

(Dedicated to one of my best friends in the whole world becuase she told me I had to) :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   For the rest of the week Chloe stayed at home wasting her time, constantly thinking about the increasingly strange dreams.

The first day back at school after the break was no different from any other day. At 7:30 her alarm went off, frightening her out of sleep and causing her to roll out of bed. She ended up landing on the light hard wood floor. Groggy and sore she got ready for what she new would be another disastrous day at school. It wasn't that she didn't like school it was just that her mind had the tendency of wondering off into daydreams at the worst possible times. What others would call an unfortunate character trait had resulted in many trips to the principles office and constant chastising from teachers. The problem was that Chloe did not see this as unfortunate, in fact it was one of the things she loved most about herself. This led her to ignore people when they reprehended her and she learned to act as if someone had just told her a lovely story about a kitten instead of finding fault in her.

   Despite Chloe's tendency to allow her mind to wander she did not struggle through school. In fact Chloe was an extremely bright student who had always received praise for her sophisticated ideas. Ever since the beginning of her schooling Chloe had been ahead of her classmates in terms of the quality of her ideas. She was now in grade eleven and had become wary about showing her true intelligence. Chloe was embarrassed by the praise and special attention she received when teachers discovered her mental capabilities.

   By the time Chloe was ready for school it was five minutes before the bell was scheduled to ring - like most days she going to be late. Realizing this she ran the two blocks to school, cutting through backyards and taking the familiar shortcut through the yard of her old elementary school. As she ran through the small recognizable school yard she was lost in the memory of the three long years spent there. Chloe thought of how glad she was that the people she had grudgingly known in those years had been replaced with friends that cared for and respected her. These thoughts were pulled from her the moment she opened the door and the warm air from the school's heater could be felt defrosting her frozen skin. Taken from her thoughts and remembering were she was going, she quickly headed for her first period math class.

   By lunch time Chloe had been called out for daydreaming in both math and history. English was the only class she had not been punished in. Ms. Avery was a kind person and was the only teacher in the school that seemed to understand Chloe. Because of this Chloe appreciated Ms. Avery more than any other teacher and tried wholeheartedly to pay attention in her class. But even when she was trying to pay attention Chloe had drifted off into her mind. Today she had daydreamed about penguins that pulled elephants around in little green wagons and about giant cups of hot chocolate that lasted forever. She thought of many other things during her classes but the thought that kept reoccurring in her mind was of the previous nights dream. She wasn't sure why but she couldn't stop thinking about it, maybe it was the fact that all she could remember was beautiful bright colours and heavenly scents.

   She was so distracted by her thoughts that when she entered the cafeteria for lunch she accidentally sat down with a group of French exchange students she had never talked to before. When she noticed what she had done her faced flushed and she quickly moved to the other side of the cafeteria where her small group of friends sat looking concerned for her. Whitney and Liliana were Chloe's closest friends and the only people that knew exactly what went on in her mind. Whitney Egbert was a petite girl with shinny black hair that fell straight to just below her jaw line.  She had chocolate brown eyes that if one looked into you could distinctly see her mind working through everything around her. She was always trying to figure out how to make the world a better place and was determined to make a difference with her life.

After a few moments of anxious silence in which the friends contemplated each other the silence was broken by the contagious laugh of Liliana. Liliana Hambleton was a tall girl with a stick-like body and a gorgeous glowing face. Her brown hair floated around her head in tight ringlets that reached her shoulders. Like Whitney, Liliana had chocolate brown eyes, but instead of contemplation in Liliana's eyes you could see reflected a light sense of humour that showed through in everything she did. Liliana could be relied on to make an awkward moment entertaining and to make you see the bright side of a sad thought.

   "I'm sorry but that is just too funny! Chloe you are the only person in this entire school that would sit down with the wrong people." Despite herself Chloe smiled, she had had a bad morning and what she needed right now was some guidance from her friends. Chloe had just opened her mouth to speak when Whitney and Liliana launched into plans for their friend Courtney Sadler's surprise birthday party that was scheduled for the coming Friday. Courtney had been extremely close to Chloe in their grade nine year but Courtney had been transferred to an all girls private school the previous summer. Her parents thought it would be a better learning environment without the distractions of boys. So far her parents attempt at keeping Courtney away from boys had been failing, she had been dating Jeffrey Colton for the past six months and Chloe considered them one of the cutest couples she had ever known.

Chloe was not the type of person that liked big parties and socializing, but when it came to her best friends she loved planning events with them. She figured she could leave her concerns for later and jumped in to the talk of who was and wasn't coming and how they were going to pull off the surprise. At the end of lunch all the plans were ready and Chloe had momentarily forgotten the mysterious dreams.

   Music class in the afternoon was no better than the morning had been. Fortunately it was the last class at the day and she was able to go home after being asked multiple times to pay attention to what she was playing.

   The next three days passed in the same fashion, every night the dreams were the same, the new sensations overwhelmed her senses, and the fantastic colours inexplicitly brought intangible tears to her dreaming eyes. Each morning she woke to the feeling of disorientation and confusion over the previous night's dream. It was as if each day it was harder to separate reality from dreams and each day it took longer for her to distinguish the two. The school days were getting increasingly harder to bear and Chloe was caught more than usual in the worlds that live inside her mind. Plans continued for Friday's party and everyone was so excited for it that she didn't have the heart to bring her concerns and problems on to her friend's shoulder. So she kept everything inside.