Chapter 10 - Thank You

It had been about 2 weeks since the funeral for Angela Parker and Maura was still grieving the loss of her mother. She spent most of her time at home except for when she was dragged to school by Drew. The weird part about all of this was that Steven had been the one that was continuously checking in on Mo. Hyde called Mo almost every night and the nights that the two didn't spend on the phone together, Steven would be at the Parker residence hanging out with her. Maura wasn't sure if Steven was genuinely being a good friend and wanted to help her through this hard time or if he just felt guilty for the things he had said to her the night her mom had passed. Maura hoped it wasn't because he felt guilty because she was actually having a good time with Hyde. She enjoyed the late night talks they had over the phone and the joints they shared while listening to music in her room.

The bell had just rung, signaling class was over for the day and Maura could not wait to get home and lay in her bed. Being at school was frustrating because everyone gave Maura the same pitiful looks as she walked down the hall. Maura opened her locker and grabbed the books she needed and shoved the rest of her things in the tiny locker. "Maura, you look so nice today! You finally put some effort into your appearance," Jackie's shrill voice rings as she approaches Maura with Kelso following obediently behind her. Maura rolls her eyes as she shuts her locker, turning to face her friends. "Thanks..." she responds to Jackie's backhanded compliment. Maura had spent the past two weeks wearing the comfiest things to school like pajama pants or sweats and not putting on any makeup. Today was the first day Maura had decided to try again and had actually worn a dress and applied some concealer and mascara. "Yeah you look hot Mo, your ass looks good in that dress, but it also looked good in the sweats," Kelso says, checking Maura out. "Well you two have been a blast to talk to, but I am going to walk home now and go to bed, bye!" Maura says quickly as she pushes past the couple and exits the building.

Maura began walking and waited until she was more than a block away from the property when she pulled a pack of cigarettes from her bag and pulled one out, lighting it and inhaling deeply from the cancer stick. "What do you think you're doing Parker?" A familiar voice says from behind her. "Oh shut up Hyde, I can smoke a square once in a while, it's not like you don't do it," Mo says, rolling her eyes as he catches up to her. "I only smoke darts every now and then when I'm drunk and I'd much rather smoke the good stuff than tobacco," Steven says, taking the cigarette from Maura and putting it out with his boot. "Hey, that was a fresh one," Maura complains as the two continue to walk towards her house. "Oh you're fine, I have some good weed we can smoke at your place," Steven says, laughing at Mo's whining. "Fine, but I get the first hit," she says seriously.

Once Maura and Hyde reach her house, Mo sends Hyde to her room while she grabs a bag of chips and two sodas. Maura walks up the stairs to her room and finds Steven sitting next to her window, rolling a fat joint. "Is your dad home? Or more importantly, your brothers?" He asks as he licks the paper and seals the joint. "Of course my dad isn't here, Drew could care less and the chances of Danny showing up here are low, light her up," Maura says, already anticipating the wonderful lightheaded and warm feeling she was craving. Maura put on one of her favorite albums, Led Zeppelin II, and sat next to Hyde, taking the first hit of the joint, inhaling the smoke and holding it in her lungs for as long as possible to get a better high. Maura knew this probably wasn't the best way for her to cope with her grief, but it made her feel better and helped her to forget the pain she was in, so she decided it was okay to smoke until she healed more.

"I told you it was some good weed," Hyde laughs softly as the two lay on her bed, eyes barely open and the room hazy. "Yeah, but you still shouldn't have put out my cigarette asshat," Mo laughs as she takes the aviators off of Steven's face and puts them on herself. "You gotta let that shit go Mo," Hyde smiles, laying on his side and propping his head on his hand as he looks down at Maura. "Yeah yeah yeah," Maura says, locking eyes with him. "Steven," Maura pauses as she tries to think of the right words to say in her high state. "Have you just been hanging out with me and checking up on me because you feel bad for me or you feel guilty for the things you said after the club?" Maura says, still trying to maintain eye contact with Hyde. "Parker," he laughs softly at her words. "Do you think I am the kind of guy that would do this because I felt guilty or pitied you?" He says, trying to hold back his laughs. Maura was about to respond, but Hyde held up his hand, signaling he wasn't done. "I did feel bad for the things I said to you, but I apologized for that and we moved past that. Yes, I have been keeping tabs on you and hanging out with you because I am worried about you, but because you are my friend and I care about you. I know this is a rough time and like I said before, I can relate to how you are feeling somewhat and want to be there to support you," Steven says, his eyes never leaving Maura's.

"Who knew you were such a softy?" Maura asks, laughing as she pushes Steven's shoulder lightly, messing with him. "Can it, Parker," Hyde says, but the smile never leaves his face. "Thank you," Maura says softly, her head spinning and her cheeks aching from her smile. "Mmhm," Hyde says, not sounding convinced. "I mean it, Steven," Maura says, hitting his chest softly, trying to keep his attention. "I know you do Maura," Hyde says sincerely. Maura and Steven make eye contact again and Steven slowly takes the aviators off of Maura, this time the two never breaking eye contact. As the song "Thank You" by Led Zeppelin begins to play, Maura sits up slightly and kisses Steven softly, who reciprocates the kiss eagerly. As the music continues to play, the two spend another intimate night together. The famous lyrics sung softly in the background, "if the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you. Mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me." The words sang so beautifully by Robert Plant, explaining the feelings that the two were starting to feel for one another, but refused to admit.