Chapter 4 - Buddy Morgan Joins the Gang (briefly)

(Just so I don't forget, at this point in the story, Hyde is already living with the Forman's and he is all set up on his cot in the spare room in the basement.)

Maura usually got a ride home from school with her brother Drew, but he had football practice and refused to give her the keys to drive herself home. Now Maura was stuck getting a ride home with Eric, but he was nowhere to be found. "Where the hell is Forman, man? This isn't like him," Hyde grumbles as he shivers, leaning against the Vista Cruiser. "I am really starting to get worried. What if something happened to him?" Michael asks as he wraps his arms around Maura, trying to keep himself warm and wanting to be close to a female of course. "I am sure Eric is f-f-fine," Maura stutters, scolding herself for wearing a dress today instead of pants. "He p-p-probably just is discussing his grades with a t-t-teacher," she suggests and Hyde and Kelso give her a look like she is crazy. "Look, it is getting late, let's just walk home," Kelso suggests and Maura nods, starting to walk away from the car, but gets pulled back by Hyde. "No, no, no, no, no, if God wanted us to walk, he wouldn't have given us Forman," He says standing closer to Mo, the three trying to stay warm. "Well you two can stay here and check the school morgue," she glances at Michael rolling her eyes, "or freeze to death for being stubborn," she glares at Steven. "But I am walking to the Forman's house," she says as she pulls away from the two taller boys and begins to walk, doing her best to stay warm. She hears groans behind her and eventually the footsteps of her friends following her lead.

The three eventually make it to the basement and walk in, finding Eric there perfectly fine. "Oh. There you guys are. Where have you been?" Are the words to leave his mouth. "Where have we been? Where have you been? We've been worried sick about you," Michael scolds Eric and Mo just shivers inbetween Hyde and Kelso, her teeth chattering too much for her to say anything. "We had to walk all the way here man, my feet are killing me and look at Mo. Her lips are purple and she has a dress on, she probably has frostbite," Hyde yells and Maura is surprised when he says this, why would he care. Apparently Donna is thinking the same thing because she looks up at Maura with a questioning look on her face and Maura shrugs, not knowing why he said it either.

Donna interrupts and points to the boy awkwardly sitting in Hyde's chair, "Shaggy, Scooby, MoMo, we have company." Hyde circles the poor kid and kicks him out of his chair, making him nervously jump up. "Hyde don't be a dick, Buddy how are you?"  Maura smiles at her old friend as Hyde sits down and flips her off. "I am good, I forgot you hang out with these guys," he says and Maura laughs and nods. "Well everyone misses you from the group, it hasn't been the same since you and Scott split," he says and Maura cringes at the mention of her ex-boyfriend's name. "Oh yeah well, you know it is for the best," she says trying to remain cool, she can feel all eyes on her now, her friends knowing better than to mention his name. "Well don't be a stranger, feel free to hang out with us anytime," Buddy smiles and Maura nods politely. Buddy grabs his things and offers to drive Eric to his car at school. "Bye guys, bye Maura, see you later," he says and Maura waves. She knew Buddy was just being nice and he didn't know the details of the breakup, but it still stung.

Kelso groans as he squishes between Donna and Jackie on the couch, "he just ditched us again!"  Of course, Jackie has to jump in on the conversation, "Do you even know how difficult it is to clique jump? Eric has achieved something very special, and you two are ruining it for him." Maura rolls her eyes at the dramatic girl, "Jackie, the popular group really isn't that cool, you need to stop acting like they are gods and praising them," Maura says and Jackie gasps. "They are too cool. You are just mad that you are no longer apart of that clique after your boyfriend dumped you. I think you are just embarrassed that you are a loser now," Jackie says and everyone's mouth drops. "Jackie she is dating the captain of the football team and she could ruin your reputation in one sentence. I don't think Mo is a loser and I wouldn't get on her bad side," Donna says and Maura mouths a thank you to her. Jackie scoffs and stands up, "Michael, walk me home," Jackie says and all Maura wants to do is kick the younger girl right then and there. As soon as she is out the door Donna turns to Maura and smiles apologetically, "you okay?" Maura just nods, "yeah totally, but I am going to rip her vocal cords out and shove them up her ass," Mo says and Hyde laughs, "looks like Red has rubbed off on you."

"Whatever, I'm walking home," Maura says as she stands up, still freezing from walking to the Forman's in the first place. She was now in a bad mood and she just wanted to go home and listen to her records as loud as she could. "Dude, your lips are still purple, wait until Forman gets back with his car," Hyde says as he watches the tv. Maura just ignores him and grabs her bag before heading out the basement door. Steven sighs and grabs his stuff before standing up and walking back to his room, grabbing another jacket before leaving Donna alone in the basement.

"Maura you are actually going to get sick, wait up," Hyde yells as he catches up to the freezing girl. Maura was surprised to hear his voice, they didn't even talk that often before, but all of a sudden it felt like Hyde was opening up to her and actually being nice, it was weird and new, but she enjoyed this side of him, it was just taking some getting used to. "I told you to wait for Forman to get back, why are you so stubborn," he says as he puts the extra jacket around her shoulders and stuffs his hands in his pockets. "My mood was ruined by the midget," she mumbles as she keeps her head down. "Oh come on, just ignore her, she's younger and thinks high school is the most important thing," Hyde says. "I could care less that she called me a loser, I just hate that she talked about Scott as well as Buddy, I just want to go home and eat my feelings," Maura says and Hyde laughs.

"Fuck Buddy Morgan, I hate that kid," he says and Mo looks at him confused. "Why? He is actually really nice and has good intentions." Hyde scoffs and shakes his head as the pair continues to hike home to the Parker house. "That kid has everything and everyone likes him, I hate him!" Hyde says and Maura giggles. "Eric only hangs out with him becuase he has a Trans Am," Hyde points out and Maura laughs even harder. "Why are you laughing spazz?" Hyde glares at her and she shakes her head smiling. "You only hang out with Eric because of the Vista Cruiser and the basement," Mo points out. "Not true. I have been friends with Forman since we were kids. Way before he had any of that stuff," Hyde tries to defend himself. "Well I know one thing that will make you feel better, Buddy is gay," Maura says and Hyde stops walking and looks like he doesn't know what to say. "Yeah he is gay, so the good news is that he can steal Eric from you, but he can't steal any sleazy girls you want to hook up with," Mo smiles and Hyde flips her off, but he can't help but smile too.

Maura then realized they were in front of the doorsteps to her house and she turned and looked up at Steven. "Thanks for walking me home, you didn't have to do that," she says as she slips the coat off that Hyde gave her and hands it back to him. "It's fine man, I wanted to," he pauses and looks down at the blonde infront of him. "Plus I learned some valuiable information about Buddy Morgan, maybe he'll even make a move on Eric," Hyde says, and Maura giggles. "I pray that he does, see you tommorow Steven, thanks again," she says and walks up her front steps. The windburn on her face working to her advantage, hiding her blushing cheeks.