Chapter 11

The students and teachers all met in the school amphitheater, where the party was being held. Justin and Alpha walked inside to flashing strobe lights, games and lots of food.

Justin looked around at all of the decorations and all of the dancing students. "Wow," he said to Alpha, amazed. "They certainly know how to throw a party don't they? They made good time though, it's only been like, ten minutes." The two went over to the food table and got some punch.

They hadn't been there long before Sam walked over to Justin. "Hey," she said. "You know that pets go over in the other room right?" she asked him.

Justin looked at Alpha, then back at Sam. "Alpha isn't a pet," he said, matter-of-factly. "He's a companion."

Sam laughed. "Right," she said. "Well either way, I don't think that Stancher's going to think of it like that."

Justin cringed at the idea of getting on Stancher's bad side. "Alright," he said, walking Alpha towards the pet room. "Come on Alpha. You can make some new friends."

As Justin was on his way back to Sam, he ran into someone, spilling his punch all over both of their shirts. "Dammit," he said. "Hey, I'm sorry about that. It was an accident."

"Hey, don't worry about it," said the person he crashed into. "It'll wash out."

Justin looked up at the guy's face to see that he had run into Lucas. "Oh," he said. "It's you. Lucas, right?"

Lucas looked back at him. "Yeah," he said. "Your name is Justin right? Weren't you one of the people fighting against the Dark-seeker army?"

"Yeah," Justin said.

"So, what was it like?" Lucas asked. "To fight on the front lines?"

Justin thought about it. "It was kinda cool actually," he said. "A little scary maybe, but cool."

"Nice," Lucas said. "I want to be out there too, but I can't seem to beat wave 5 of the simulator. Any suggestions?"

Justin thought back to Lucas' test. "Have you tried using magic during the fights?" he asked. "It might make it a little easier."

Lucas thought about it. "Yeah," he said. "But I can't use magic."

"If you can find a way to use magic, you might be able to beat more waves," Justin said. "I gotta go. See ya." Justin headed back towards Sam as Lucas waved goodbye.

Lucas stood there, thinking about what Justin had said. Hmm, he thought. A way to use magic huh?

Everyone spent the night dancing and talking until it was almost midnight. It was then that the principal told everyone to head home and get some rest.

When they were headed home, Justin had Alpha stop at a store that had remained open to buy something. He was feeling anxious as he walked out, for tomorrow was the day he would start his journey with a team of skilled fighters.

Once everyone had left, Lucas snuck into the school's robotics lab and pulled out some tools. "Okay," he said. "Time to learn some magic."