Chapter Fifteen

It's been a long time since Charlie has felt so alive. Her body hums with pent up energy as she paces the floor of her living room. Leaning against the entryway of her kitchen is her father who is wearing his familiar 'I'm not pleased' scowl. He's mentioned that she should sit down and rest several times. She's been ignoring him, too.

At first, she had been content with making her necessary phone calls from bed but when no one answered her calls or texts she went into panic mode. When she woke up to a familiar dull ache, she focused her senses. It was those senses that told her Vernon Boyd died that night. Her first instinct had been to call Derek. Boyd is his beta and losing a beta is like losing an arm but halfway through dialing his number she remembers that there's no one to answer. Her second instinct was to call Isaac but there was no response from him either.

Frustrated and panicked beyond belief, Charlie picks up one of her lamps and throws it against the wall of her living room. The glass shatters into a hundred tiny pieces and she collapses onto her couch and buries her face into her hands. A warm weight sinks into the cushion beside her and she leans against her dad for comfort.

"I'm worried," she says against her hands.

Kenneth presses his lips against the side of her head. "I know, sweetheart. Just have patience."

"Patience is a nonexistent virtue in this town," Charlie says bitterly. "Patience is merely waiting for bad news to come."

Unable to respond to her harsh musings, Kenneth simply wraps his arms around her. It's the first time he has ever heard her speak with such negativity. Even when she was sick she was upbeat and positive. It pains him to see the towns misfortune changing her.

A loud bang echoes through the house causing both the alpha and the blonde to jump to their feet. When the tall, gentle giant that is Isaac appears in the hallway, Charlie feels an overwhelming sense of relief. He's okay. Isaac is safe.

"You're awake," he says softly and takes hesitant steps inside her living room.

Charlie observes him. He looks tired and his eyes are fighting between relief and grief for his two friends. Grief for Boyd finally wins over and Charlie pushes past her father to go to the betas side. She walks him to the couch where they both slump down.

"I'll make some coffee," Kenneth says.

"Actually, make that water," Charlie says. At his questioning look, she shrugs. "I was poisoned without me knowing. It's entirely possible it was my food that was poisoned."

Isaac stares down at the blonde. "I was beginning to think you would never wake up."

"Of course I was going to wake up," she says lightheartedly. "Who else is going to kick the darach's ass?" When she's given a meek smile in response, Charlie grabs one of his hands into hers. "Tell me what happened."

"Kali, Aiden, and Ethan killed Boyd," he says. A dark, humorless laugh escapes his lips. "Actually, Ethan and Aiden forced Derek's claws out and Kali dropped Boyd onto them."

Wait…

"What?"

"They made Derek kill Boyd," Isaac repeats.

Derek… Derek is alive?

"Derek's alive?"

Isaac's blue eyes widen with surprise. "You don't know?" When she nimbly shakes her head, the teenager sighs. "Derek survived the fall."

Just days ago she was wrestling with the pain of losing Derek and here is Isaac who tells her something that should feel her with relief. Her brain is flooding with a thousand thoughts. She can't concentrate on just one thought or feeling. Not in this moment.