Chapter Four

By the time Charlie makes it back to Derek’s loft, the sun is just starting to disappear in the horizon. As she walks, she kicks her shoes off followed by her socks. She approaches the closet and digs out a few articles of clothing that she keeps there. Her mind tells her to hurry into the shower before Derek sees her blood-soaked shirt but her body is just too tired to do so. The day had taken more out of her than she realized.

                So, when she turns and comes face to face with the alpha, she isn’t surprised. His eyes settled on her clothing and she watches as he searches for a wound that would cause so much blood. She takes his hand and holds it between both of hers. Against her cold, clammy hands, his feel like fire.

                “I’m okay. It isn’t mine,” she says but his eyes blaze even more at her confession.

                “What happened? Whose is it?”

                Charlie sighs. “It belongs to this girl that I found in the boys locker rooms. The alphas attacked her.”

                “I wonder if it’s the same girl that Isaac mentioned-“

                “Isaac?” Charlie asks, narrowing her eyes. “Is he here? Is he okay? Why didn’t you tell me?”

                “I’m sorry,” Derek says and engulfs her small frame into a hug. “Yes, he’s here and he’s okay. There was an alpha at the hospital by the time I got there. He and Scott were in a fight. Isaac was still hurt so I took him back to the house. Then Scott wanted help with a personal issue.”

                “The tattoo?” Charlie guesses causing Derek to chuckle.

                “He asked you first?”

                “Yeah. I told him to talk to you about it.”

                Derek ‘mhms’ at her response and nestles his face on top of her head. Her hands grip tightly onto his shirt and he feels the beginning signs of the days wearisome activities start to show in her body. Despite their constant training sessions, Charlie still tires easily. Especially when dealing with hectic situations. Her body is shaking from overuse.

                She pulls away from him and offers a small smile. It’s then Derek notices the change of clothes in her hands. He’s keeping her from a much needed shower.

                “I’m going to shower and then I want to check in on Isaac.”

                Derek lets her go, knowing full well that she won’t make it back down those steps. He’ll check in on her later to make sure she’s comfortable but the blonde isn’t going to leave Isaac’s side tonight. Not before giving into the lull of sleep that’s already threatening to claim her.

                “You know, I’m starting to not like this idea. Sounds kinda dangerous,” Isaac says as he paces in front of the large window. Derek sits at the table, reading a book while Charlie is perched on the steps. She keeps checking the time. It won’t be long before she has to leave for school. Isaac pauses at the end of the window before turning back around.

                “You know what? I definitely don’t like this idea, and I definitely don’t like him.”

                “You’ll be fine,” Derek says, barely glancing up from his book.

                “Does it have to be him?” Isaac asks.

                “He knows how to do it. I don’t,” Derek says as patiently as possible. “Be more dangerous if I tried doing it myself.”