Chapter Nine

'Those sneaky, lying werewolves,' Charlie grumbles to herself as she runs up the stairs to Derek's loft. She received two messages from Stiles claiming that Scott might need some backup while dealing with a group of werewolves who apparently see no other approach in dealing with the alphas than killing them. That's where she comes in.

"Why is the default plan always murder? Just once can someone try to come up with something that doesn't involve killing everyone?" Scott asks just on the other side of the door.

"You never get tired of being so blandly moral, do you?"

At the sound of Peter's mocking voice, Charlie slides the loft door open. Six pairs of eyes turns to stare at the newcomer but only one person looks the least bit happy to see her there. Scott allows himself a smirk at the sight of the stubborn faced blonde.

"I'm more inclined to agree with the morally bland werewolf than the werewolf who has no moral compass at all," Charlie says as she walks into the room. She strolls right up to the table until she is standing right next to Scott. Considering their identical postures of defiance, it's no question that she's there for him.

"Who invited the human?" Cora asks bitterly to which Charlie smirks.

"The morally bland werewolf did. And I think you'll find I'm a little more than human."

"What are you doing here Charlie?" Derek asks impatiently.

"I'm here to help Scott convince all of you that there are better ways to deal with the alphas," she says with a shrug of her shoulders. It's only been a few days since he kicked her out of the loft and there's been nothing but radio silence between the two. During that time, she's spent as much of it as she could helping Argent track the darach.

"With a threat like this, there is no other way," Peter argues.

"Excuse me if I don't count the opinion of a homicidal maniac," Charlie snaps before turning her attention to the others. "Has anyone considered an alternative?"

"Like what?" Isaac asks.

"Like a threat." Again, six pairs of eyes land on her. "I have one in my arsenal that just might work."

"Might. It might work," Peter says. "She can't even be sure that it will."

"I can be sure that at least everyone will live to see another night. If we run in there half-cocked, there will be more casualties than victories," Charlie shoots back.

"But at least it's a sure thing," Peter says, and that's how the next several minutes went between the blonde and the werewolf.

By the time the two finished their argument, everyone decided to call it a night by dragging them away from each other. Scott forced Charlie down the stairs to keep her from trying to return to the argument. Isaac chose to stay behind. He's no doubt receiving orders from a certain alpha to keep tabs on a beta and a blonde.

When Charlie is sure they haven't been followed down to the street, she pulls Scott away from the building and into a nearby alley. She did originally come to help Scott but it was also because she knew she would end up arguing with one of the werewolves until the meeting was called off. Scott is the only one who will follow his own heart or mind when it comes to doing the right thing. If she can give him another option besides killing, he will take it.

"You mentioned something about a threat," Scott says after a moment of silence.

Charlie nods. "Deucalian might be frightening but I know someone who he is terrified of."

"Who?"

"My father."

...

Charlie stands outside the abandoned mall, waiting for Scott to arrive. It's taken more willpower than she thought she had to keep from walking in alone. Scott didn't need to be there for her to play her trump card against Deucalian but he did insist on it.