𝔱𝔴𝔢𝔩𝔳𝔢

Start from the beginning

Kai checked over his shoulder, seeing Nizhoni and Axel together. "Aw, I was always rootin' for you two."

_______

"I can see an opening in the trees!" Darron called out. "Only a few yards more."

The group of teens trudged through the woods until they finally stumbled onto the dirt path, all immediately dropping to the ground in exhaustion. Corrine and Eros slowly laid Bai's aching body onto the ground and then let themselves collapse. Andrea helped Kai lower himself to sit and plopped down next to him. Nizhoni crouched next to Kai, unraveled his bindings, and began to examine his ankle. Her eyes scanned over the mass of purple and blue flesh.

"Shit," she muttered. "It's only getting worse."

"Nizhoni, you have to stop worrying about me. Bai needs more attention, we don't know what they did to him."

Nizhoni pressed her lips together and nodded as she rewrapped his ankle. Axel plopped down next to Kai. "I'll keep an eye on him."

Nizhoni stood from Kai and slowly approached Bai, who hadn't moved from where Corrine and Eros had laid him down. Nizhoni kneeled next to him.

"I know this is going to sound cliche but where does it hurt the most," Nizhoni asked, her words rattling with concern.

"Everywhere," he groaned. Bai was face down with his limbs sprawled out, his dead weight smushing his face into the ground so that his words were muffled.

"Bai you're gonna have to sit up. Can you do that?"

He nodded slowly and tried to push himself up, but he was too weak. Aurelia kneeled next to Nizhoni to help him sit up. He groaned in the process but eventually was able to prop himself up against a tree with their help.

"Can I take a look?" Nizhoni asked earnestly.

Bai grabbed the ends of his shirt and pulled it up, revealing a collection of bruises, cuts, and burns coating his torso and chest. Everyone instantly sat up at the sight of Bai's wounds, their hearts burning for the boy who was in so much pain.

"Oh my god," Corrine swallowed the lump in her throat.

Nizhoni looked at Corrine with eyes full of worry. "I have nothing. The horses took off with my other bag that had all my remedies."

"There's a kingdom," Darron stated. "It's not far, only ten miles maybe but we can't leave now. It's too dangerous. We're in robber territory as it is, if we go any deeper in without daylight we won't survive. That means no fire tonight, it would only draw them towards us. We can leave at sunrise and get to the kingdom with plenty of time. I know the people there, they can help us."

Kai looked up to the dark sky. "The sun should rise in about three or four hours."

"Then we need to rest until then," Aurelia added.

"Everyone get some sleep, I'll take watch," Corrine ordered.

"Corrine, you need rest too," Aurelia insisted.

"I'll be fine, I can handle another four hours."

The others exchanged uneasy glances, bothered by Corrine's decision but they eventually gave in and started to set up places to sleep. Corrine slid herself down a tree trunk and wedged her sword in the ground next to her. Eros took a seat with her.