Chapter 27

Hope doesn't see Sebastian come in during Defense, so she quickly assumes that either her body-binding curse probably hasn't worn off yet or he's already broken up with Elizabeth.

Yet the Gryffindor comes in with her sister like normal, and they're giggling in a way that suggests the blonde's heart hasn't been broken yet. Jade's with them as well, that irritating fool, and if Hope's nose wrinkles in distaste she doesn't realize it.

As always, Jade walks Josette to her desk, pestering her about the party's events that she missed out on.

"I'm not going to torture you with the details," Josette laughs, setting her book bag down on the table. Hope tries not to acknowledge her in any way. No. She would not even look at her, not after what she had done. She would pretend it didn't happen. In fact, she no longer remembers it at all. Yes. She could not remember the feeling of Josette's nails against her skin, her mouth against her own, the taste of chocolate frogs—

"Oh, so you did have fun?"

Josette thinks about it for a second, her eyes glancing over to Hope. Hope pretends that she's not listening, she pretends she isn't even in the same room. "Yeah, I...I guess I did."

Jade seems to frown at that, which annoys Hope more than she thought it would. Surely, Jade should have been happy for her, right?

"But I would have had more fun if you were there," the muggleborn adds, blushing slightly. Hope grits her teeth.

"Oh." Jade smiles shyly, red painting her cheeks as well. Hope is a second away from cursing her into next week. "Really?"

Snape swoops into the classroom just a moment later, relieving Hope of having to burn out her eyes and cut off her ears. Jade goes back to her seat before she can get handed another detention, and the surge of heat in Hope's chest doesn't waste time.

"It's pathetic," she sneers, and Josette whirls her head in the pureblood's direction, raising her eyebrows. It's clear to Hope that the muggleborn thought they would follow an oath of silence after Saturday night. "The way she hangs all over you."

"Jade?" She looks over to the blonde. Hope follows her line of sight and can't help her sarcasm.

"No, the poltergeist standing behind her." Josette leans her head back to look before she realizes Hope's not serious. She rolls her eyes and Hope can't help the smirk slipping onto her face.

"That's funny," Josette huffs a laugh, "coming from you."

The smirk on Hope's face drops at what Josette's implying. She bites the inside of her cheek to stop herself from rising to the bait.

"I wasn't aware that I made a joke." She can't help herself.

Josette leans in slightly with a smile, similar to the one she had been wearing Halloween night. A shiver runs down Hope's spine, yet she feels hot. Is it possible for a classroom to be cold and warm all at once?

"Would you like me to explain it for you?" Josette asks, sickly-sweet, and Hope scowls even as her gaze lingers on the lip gloss the girl is wearing.

Sometime since they had first met, their dynamic had changed. No longer were the biting insults and scathing remarks that she had become familiar with, but instead teasing and childish comebacks. Maybe that was the problem, though. Hope needed to feel normal again.

"I mean, if we're telling stories," she starts, "why don't I start with what I heard at the Astronomy—"

Hope's mouth is sewn shut before she can blink, and she continues to talk with no sound, her eyes widened as she brings her hand to her mouth. She realizes that the other girl has casted a nonverbal silencing charm on her.