Chapter 13

Hope Mikaelson, for the life of her, could not stop thinking about that damn letter.

It was now Sunday night, and still thoughts of the contents of the letter and Josette’s reaction had tormented her every waking moment. She could not even seem to escape the problem in her dreams, where she had had a nightmare that the letter was instead a Howler and Josette would look at her with those sad, disappointed eyes over and over again.

She had woken up every hour during the night, yet her terrible dream seemed to resume the second she fell back to sleep, and she was forced to relive the awful moment many times.

The pureblood had spent the rest of her weekend doing homework and munching on chocolate frogs, and she was now sitting restlessly on her bed, Josette’s book numb in her fidgeting hands.

She stands up abruptly, as if coming to a sudden conclusion.

“Where are you going?” Maya yells after her, tucked neatly beneath her sheets, her hair sprawled across her pillow like a princess.

Hope doesn’t turn around.

“Astronomy Tower. If I’m not back in an hour someone Avada Kedavra’d me,” she says offhandedly, uncaring, and she shuts the door quietly behind her, cutting off Maya’s small giggles.

Last year, Hope had made a habit of going to the Astronomy Tower whenever her thoughts had gotten too much. She hadn’t gone once so far this year, but now seemed like a perfect time to stare at the stars and think peacefully alone.

Hope crosses the corridors to the tower rather quickly, soundlessly climbing the steps until she reaches the top. She pauses when she hears two voices.

“I hate her—I hate her...”

Hope’s heart jolts directly into her throat, her blood thickening into ice. She freezes on the spot.

“Josie, please! What happened? You’ve been upset since last night, I can tell. Do you want me to go get your sister?”

It was Josette and her friend, that one Ravenclaw that had followed her around since the girl got here. Josette was sobbing, and her friend was shaking her for a response. Hope feels the instant need to leave, but can’t get her legs to move at the same time.

“No, Anna, no, she won’t understand...” Josette pleads quietly, whimpers spilling out of her lips freely. Hope knows she has to go right now. She has to leave. She can’t.

“Is it about the letter? I told you your parents didn’t mean it—“ Anna tries.

“But they did! And they’re going to be so much more disappointed in me when—“ Josette stutters, like she can’t quite bring herself to say it. “When they find out—w-when they find o-out...God, I hate her. I hate her so much...”