Chapter 58

A month passes since that night, and Hope almost even forgets about it. Everything has slowly gone back to normal, and it feels like nothing has changed. Well, mostly nothing.

On Valentine's Day, some girl gives Hope flowers and walks away with a nose bleed.

Hope looks behind her shoulder to catch a head of brown hair hastily turning around.

She slowly narrows her eyes at Josie, who is sitting innocently at the Gryffindor table and pretending not to feel or notice Hope staring.

It's almost past lunch, but Hope isn't feeling hungry at all when she sits down at her own table with the rest of Slytherin. She sighs in frustration and buries her head in her hands.

She got here late because she was trying to avoid all the unwanted advances from her classmates and admirers. None of them know that Hope is already happily taken.

"Not feeling the love?" Rose teases.

Hope scowls. "Oh, I'm feeling it."

She looks up just in time to catch something small fluttering around her head. It hisses at her until she finally gives in and takes it.

Please don't be another love letter.

It's a green note folded childishly in the shape of a snake. Hope sighs before opening it up.

To: Mikaelson

Roses are red

Violets are blue

Hurt Josie and

I'll murder you :)

From: Lizzie

"Who's Lizzie?" Hope asks out loud.

"You're not serious," Rose deadpans.

"Oh." She then remembers Josie's nickname for her beloved sister. "Oh. Blonde Saltzman."

Hope reads the note again.

"How poetic," she says sarcastically.

Rose is oddly silent. She seems to be staring down at her hands, and it takes Hope a short moment to notice that Rose has a note, too.

"What's that?" Hope sneaks a peek over her shoulder. "Did she send you one as well?"

"No." Rose laughs, kind of nervously. "Nope." Before she can hide the note, Hope catches a slip of ink written in the same familiar script.

What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet—

Hope frowns.

"Hey, look!" Rose suddenly blurts out with a faint blush. "Marbles brought you some more mail from your fanclub while you were gone."

She pushes a small stack of letters, flowers, and sweets towards Hope, who falls for the distraction and starts to sort through them.

Most of it consists of the usual yearly love confessions from boys with names she can't recognize, as well as some candy from her more familiar classmates in Slytherin and an anonymous note asking Hope to meet in a broom closet later that night for some fun.

Hope rolls her eyes and tosses the last note into Ryan Clarke's pumpkin juice, purely on accident. He glares at her but says nothing.

"Aww, how sweet," Rose whispers next to her, pointing out a box at the bottom of the stack. "Someone got you your favorite chocolates."