ct-17 The end of the beginning

Start from the beginning

Kai lowered his sword, nodding for Keita to do the same. Viktor smiled.

"Well you see brother. While the cadre searched for you, a secret organization found us. They call themselves magic. It seems actual magic exists, crazy right? I mean you've seen the elf. So they offered us your head, riches and blah blah blah. We in return would help them lay siege to this castle. Now here's the interesting part. How did we get in? How did we know your weakness?" Viktor shifted the knife against Katherine's neck making her squirm slightly.

"How did we know the perfect time to attack? I'll tell you how. You see, lord Jerome is part of the magic organization, and his daughter Elena has been a spy for as long as she's been here." Viktor said. Then he began chuckling.

Katherine's eyes widened, and then a drop of tear rolled down her cheeks.

It was all a play. Jerome's timing was suspicious but no one suspected this. And Elena, how she had played the castle. She had been an informant for the secret organization.

Magic? There was an organization called magic out there that had done all this. But why?

"I see you're confused brother. Let me explain to you." Viktor's lazy voice said. "Apparently the kings of all the kingdoms excluding Arocelli, are the head of this organization. They work for someone called...Babayega."

Everything stopped for Kai.

"Such a funny name. The cadre have never seen Babayega but he's not the one we made a deal with. The organization says Babayega is a powerful magical force, this and that you know stupid ancient shit. Babayega wants to rule the six kingdoms but the Queen stands in his way. If they brought her in, she'd never agree with the kind of things Babayega did. Very very bad things. Anyways, he brainwashed some elves and made them try to kill the princess. Eliminate the next in line, smart move. Unfortunately one of the elves was captured, which made killing the Queen very important." Katherine began to jerk beside Viktor.

"What did you do with the Queen?" Kai asked

"Oh no I didn't do anything. By now she's reached the island. She's basically walked to her death." Viktor said.

Katherine jerked beside him and cried.

"Relax princess. I'm not done. The organization needed someone with their interests at heart. Who better than Jerome to take over Arocelli. He'll announce the Queen was lost at sea and the princess suffered a trauma such that she can't lead the kingdom. The people will buy it. Jerome rules. Babayega wins." Viktor said.

"You know something Viktor?" Kai said

"Hmm?"

"You always did talk too much."

Kai sent a dagger flying. It went through Viktors shoulder. Mateo immediately tackled Viktor, both of them making the sofa fall backwards. Kai rushed to Katherine and cut the binds on her hands and legs as Mateo wrestled with Viktor.

Kai removed the cloth tied to her mouth. Then he got her up and set her behind him as he stepped backwards towards the room exit.

Viktor got up with Keita. He had a dagger to Keita's throat. Kai's heart clenched slightly. Viktor looked straight at Kai, reading his emotions.

"You always were a softy brother. You care for a guard? Pathetic" Viktor said.

"Hey guardian." Keita said in a rasp. "It seems we did become friends."

Then Viktor slid the blade across Keita's throat.

No. No.

Kai felt Katherine tugging his shirt. He turned to her. Tears were now streaming down her cheeks. He couldn't fight now. He had to get her to safety.