ct-13 Feelings?

After the breakfast with her small family, Katherine snatched Kai from his ongoing conversation with Nesta. She gave Nesta an apologetic smile even though none was needed.

Kai admired how kind and thoughtful the Princess and Queen could be. But he knew it was a weakness too. Their weakness was what permitted him to be in their castle right now.

A former assassin of the cadre of eight, responsible for sudden deaths in the government and outside it. The cadre wasn't a secret, but the compound was. They've never been seen but they've surely been heard of.

Kai and Katherine rode on their horses through the now piling snow.

"Are you going to tell me where we're going?" Kai asked Katherine.

"It's my secret spot." she said.

All Kai could do was wonder why he was being taken to her secret spot.

"So. Any clues on why destiny likes your blood?" Katherine asked.

Kai had no clue whatsoever. And he had not been able to have his time alone with the elf. The dungeon was too guarded plus the only entrance was in the barracks training room. Going straight to the dungeon would make his presence suspicious.

"Nothing." Kai said glumly.

"Well maybe it was just nonsense after all." Katherine said.

"Yeah, maybe." Kai replied. But he couldn't help feeling doubtful for some reason.

They soon arrived at another garden in the castle compound. It looked like a giant bouquet of red roses. They were already hardening due to the winter.

"A nice secret place you've got here." Kai said knowing it would rattle her, because this place did not look like a secret.

He got down gently from his horse. He didn't need to help the princess get down from her white mare - Anais - as it seemed she was learned in that process. He was still yet to name his horse even under the princess' pressure.

"Ha ha. This isn't the place." she said.

She walked deeper into the garden to what seemed like a dead end. Anyone would think there was a fence but then Katherine pushed the flowers apart to reveal a swing. It was surrounded by blooming phlox plants. It was a beautiful scene.

"Come on." Katherine said.

Kai walked into her hidden fortress and she let the flowers fall and hide the place again.

"Wow." Kai said.

"Pretty right?" she said. "I come here in winter alone. It's when the phlox blooms. My father had the swing built when I was about eight. But when he died, I abandoned it and a garden grew around it. I don't think anyone knows this is here."

Kai noticed the princess' glum mood. Her free pink dress blew lightly this way and that.

"Sit on the swing. I'll push you." Kai offered

"Sure. Trust the warrior guardian not to manhandle me." She said sarcastically.

"You're the princess of Arocelli." Kai said "I can't man handle you."

She sat on the swing, looking back constantly at him like he'd push her into oblivion. He began pushing her gently. Enough to be called soothing.

"There are nightmares in your eyes Katherine." Kai said. "Would it be intruding if I asked what bothered you?"

Katherine sighed.

"My uncle Jerome. He reminds me of a haunting past." She said.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Kai asked.