Chapter 15

"Back to Sparkle"

            I was walking down the street to head into Sparkle. I was really nervous about this meeting. If he said the wrong thing then my future was over. I needed this. Noah was going to be coming in later but for now I was on my own. It might be for the best. All he would do is try to talk me out of it.

            I walked into the building and had to wait for my eyes to adjust to the dimness. Eventually they did and I moved to go towards the back. That’s where Doug kept his off. When I reached it I took a deep breath before I knocked.

            “Come in,” his deep voice called from the other side.

            “Hey,” I said when I opened the door.

            “Look who the cat drug in,” he said with a smile as he put down his pen and leaned back.

            “I’m all better,” I said as I sat in the chair.

            “Good. You ready to get back to work,” he asked.

            “Do I still have a job,” I asked.

            “Of course,” he said with a kind smile.

            “Then when do you need me to start,” I asked back.

            Apparently it was in just a few days. Which meant that practices started now. I changed into some old clothes that I kept there and got up on the stage. It felt nice to be back but I just hoped that my body would work with me. I was still very stiff.

            “Just warm up first and don’t push yourself to far,” Doug said as he walked away.

            “I won’t,” I said.

            I stretched out and after a minute I turned the music on and tried to start. I felt a few painful spots but they fixed themselves after I continued to dance. Eventually all of the pain left and I started to smile as I danced. The song came to an end and when I looked up Noah was standing in the middle of the room watching me.

            “I guess you still have a job,” he said as he climbed up on the stage.

            “Yeah. Doug said he would never take my job for being hurt. I have a gig in just a few days,” I told him.

            “That’s soon,” he told me.

            “I know but it’s so great,” I said with a big smile.

            “I’m glad that you’re happy,” he said as he leaned down to kiss me on the forehead.

            “I’m done for today if you want to go somewhere,” I said.

            “Are you sure that you don’t need more practice,” he asked.

            “I’m sure that I do but…,” I started.

            “Just stay and practice. I’ll be right over there reading,” he said as he climbed down and walked to a table to sit down.