Chapter 9

"Unexpected Territory"

            I woke up with the sun in my face. I groaned and tried to roll over to block it. I was already awake though. I took a deep breath and froze. I knew this scent but it wasn’t the scent of my bed. It smelled like cologne.

            I jerked up in the bed and looked around. I was in a boy’s room. I could tell that right away. The walls were blue and the floor was messy. Not dirty but messy. There were clothes thrown all around. I was in the middle of a huge bed surrounded by pillows.

            I threw the covers off of my body and looked down. I was still wearing my skinny jeans and shirt from last night but my shoes were off and my hair was loose. I slowly climbed out of the bed and made my way to the door.

I crept down the stairs quietly. I was almost to the bottom when I saw two boys standing at the bottom talking. I looked around again and instantly knew where I was. I cleared my throat and both boys turned to look at me. Their eyes widened in surprise.

“Paige,” Jonah said in amazement.

            “Hey,” I said with a slight wave.

            “What are you doing here,” he asked.

            “I’m not sure,” I said with a shrug.

            “What do you mean,” Alex said as he stepped forward.

            “The last thing I remember is falling asleep in Noah’s truck,” I explained as I walked the rest of the way down.

            “Oh! I thought you two had slept together,” Jonah said with a grin.

            “We didn’t,” I said giving him a pointed look. “Where is he anyway?”

            “He’s in the kitchen,” Alex told me quietly.

            Thanks,” I said as I walked that way.

            Their house was huge. It was a miracle that I didn’t get lost. I finally found the kitchen and made my way in. Noah was standing at the stove cooking something. What made me smile was that he was wearing frog pajamas.

            “Noah,” I called out.

            “Huh,” he said as he turned around. He pushed his glasses up and smiled at me.

            “What are you doing,” I asked as I walked over to him.

            “Making breakfast,” he said as he turned back to it.

            “What am I doing here,” I asked.

            “You fell asleep after I picked you up. I knew what apartment building you lived in but not what apartment number you lived in. I didn’t want to take you to your stepdad,” he said without looking at me.

            “It was a sweet gesture but I need to go home,” I said with fear creeping up on me. 

            “Why,” he asked as he plated the food.