Chapter 13

After I got past the shock of falling, I shifted into a bird and started to fly back when I noticed that the others were falling as well.  Nearby, some goblins hung from ropes, which seemed to have caused the ground to open up below our feet.  I followed the others down and landed beside them when they crashed.  Thorin stood and approached me.

"Are you alright?"  I nodded as I examined the walls.

"We have to get out of here...  There's goblins!"  As soon as those words left my mouth, we were swarmed by the goblins.  I thought about shifting, but there were too many, and the warning look from Thorin told me not to even think about it.  Soon, several grabbed each of us and started dragging us through their caves.  I gulped as we reached the throne room.  A huge, fat goblin, wearing a crown, coughed violently and climbed down from his perch.

"Who dares to trespass in my kingdom?  Spies?  Thieves?  Assassins?"  One of the goblins close to me stepped forward.

"Dwarves, sir.  Found them on the front porch!"  I watched the goblins carefully as they nudged us forward.

"Dwarves?  Search them!"  I felt the goblins' thieving hands reach for me and accidentally growled.  One screeched at me, baring his teeth.  Another reached for my neck and grabbed the shapeshifter's necklace, tearing it from my neck.  Before I could protest, he took it to his king, who frowned.  "A shapeshifter, huh?"  He glowered down on us.  "Which of you would that be?"  I gulped and kept my eyes on him as I found that I was being pushed forward.  "Ah, it's you."  I bowed my head, knowing he would soon recognize Thorin.

"I found it, sir.  I am no shapeshifter."  He laughed and shook his head.

"Prove it then!"  With that, he had Balin brought forward.  "If you are not a shapeshifter, you won't be able to save him."  One of the goblins grabbed a sword as the others forced Balin to his knees.

Before the blade fell, I snarled and tackled the goblin, instantly shifting into a wolf.  Before I could react to my sudden outburst, the goblins pulled me away from my foe.  When I refused to let up, they kicked me hard in the ribs.  I gasped for air as I shuddered into my dwarf form.  The goblin king's mocking laugh made me angrier.

"Yes, you are a shapeshifter..."  He glanced back at the dwarves.  "And the only dwarf who travels with a shapeshifter in his midst is none other than Thorin Oakenshield."  He grabbed me by my hair and yanked me to my feet, causing me to cry out.  "Well, Thorin?  Where are you?"  I whimpered as his grip tightened.  Thorin stepped forward.

"Here I am...  Now, let her go."  The goblin threw me at Thorin's feet and sneered at the both of us.

"What luck...  I thought I'd only get the reward for the shapeshifter's capture."  Several goblins pulled me to my feet as the goblin smirked at Thorin.  "I know someone who would pay a pretty price for your head.  You know who?"  When Thorin didn't respond, the king seemed to get annoyed.  "Arsock, the Defiler...  The pale Orc astride a white Warg."  I shuddered as Thorin trembled slightly.

"Arsock is dead!  He was slain in battle long ago!"  The goblin simply shook his head and turned to one of goblins.

"Send word to the pale Orc.  Tell him I have found his prizes."  To another, he ordered.  "Bring out the bone cruncher, the toe manger...  Every last torture we have."  He turned to yet another and smiled.  "Bring out the chains..."  Each set to work.

I looked over at Thorin, who was watching me as the goblins searched him for weapons.  With the exception of my necklace, I only had my bow, my quiver, and my blade.  No daggers were ever necessary...  Instead of searching me, the goblins restrained me, pinning my arms behind my back.  The rest were working on the dwarves.  I bit my lip in order to prevent a single sound from escaping me.  Soon, the chains were brought in.  The king smirked at me as he lifted me by one arm.

"You are wanted unharmed, my dear.  So, you get a front row seat."  He threw me down beside the throne.

Before I could lift my head, the goblins set to work chaining me to the throne.  I tugged away best I could, but the shackles were on my wrists before long.  I shifted to a mouse, then a wolf, trying to free myself.  But, the shackles changed with each shift, staying tight on my hands.  When I finally gave up, the goblin king laughed.

"Designed for your race...  Whatever form you take, they will change in order to accommodate each form.  This is how they were enslaved."  I looked desperately at Thorin as a goblin took his blade.  Gazing upon the blade, the goblin shrieked and threw it to the ground.  I recognized it.  "The Goblin Cleaver!"  Goblins everywhere panicked.  "Kill them!  Kill them all!"  When some approached me, he batted them away.  "Not her!  Them!"

I roared in rage and tried to free myself, but I couldn't lift my arms off the ground anymore.  I watched as the dwarves were wrestled to the ground and prepared to be killed.  While they fought the best they could, they were no match for the hundreds of goblins.  I watched helplessly as a blade was raised over Thorin's head.

Suddenly, a blinding, white light seemed to blast everyone off their feet.  I held onto the chains, trying to stay where I could see Thorin, when I noticed a key.  I reached down and grabbed it before it blew away.  Maybe it was the key that would free me...  Gandalf stood in the midst of the cleared room.  The dwarves stood up as he spoke.

"Fight...  Fight!"  At his call, all Hades broke loose.