22 - Worries

Light-footed like a cat, Aizawa leapt from roof to roof with the help of his scarf, enjoying the cold breeze of the night that ruffled through the black tuft of his hair. When he landed on a flat roof, he allowed himself to pause for a moment.

It was perfect.

His current location provided him with a grandstand view of Musutafu's dimly lit streets. Except for a few scattered people here and there who were strolling through the dark of the night for whatever reasons, the streets were deserted.

The Erasure Hero crouched down at the edge of the roof and freed his eyes from his trademark yellow goggles. Reaching at his side, Aizawa opened one of the several bags attached to his belt and crammed in it until his fingers got hold of what he was looking for.

Looking even more tired than usual, if that was even possible, he opened the tiny bottle of eye drops in his hands and carefully instilled his extremely dry and irritated eyes to soothe the burning sensation that was signalising him that they desperately needed some rest.

After safely tucking his valuable tool away, he plucked his phone out of his pocket to take a quick glance at the time.

04:45

A  sigh of relief escaped him as he realised that the last night-patrol of this week had finally come to an end. Now, the last thing that was still separating him from his long-awaited weekend were a few classes in the morning. By noon, he would be done and could eventually make use of his time off to catch up on the sleep he'd missed out on during the week, which was something he badly needed.

It wasn't easy to manage both jobs at once and to somehow live a balanced life. Playing teacher during the day, fulfilling his duties as a hero at night, and getting enough sleep weren't exactly compatible. He was painfully aware that he sometimes slacked off at school due to his state of exhaustion, much to the detriment of his students' education, but he was too stubborn to set aside either of them.

Therefore, he'd come to the conclusion that sacrificing his sleep throughout the week was the easiest way to go. Besides, he was alone and had nothing, or rather no one, to worry about except for himself and his jobs. That's why it didn't bug him to spend most of his time off catching up on sleep. It wasn't like he was missing out on something else anyway.

Aizawa redirected his stinging eyes on the streets below him, scanning the area for anything out of the ordinary that might require his attention.

The night hadn't been more busy than usual. Instead, it had been quite the opposite – boring as hell, which was good one the one hand, but on the other, it didn't exactly help the time to elapse quickly. A few brawls here and a petty thief there, but nothing extraordinary. At least, he'd been able to complete all the police records tonight locally, and with that, he was officially done for today.

His onyx eyes absent-mindedly stared at the city's skyline as he pondered whether he should make another quick round down the main street of his district or not.

Currently, he was at the city's outskirts, an area he'd chosen for his patrols due to the excessive amount of emergency calls the police had to deal with. The fact that there was always someone ready to cause trouble and the circumstance that no other hero was eager to cover the shift for this area had sealed the deal for him.

Aizawa rose to his feet, still not sure what to do.

His body urged him to leave and head home. If he was quick enough, he might be able to squeeze in half an hour or even a full hour of sleep before his first lesson would start.

But then again – the night had been quiet and uneventful. Almost too quiet and uneventful. Maybe another round down his route on the main street wasn't such a bad idea after all.