Midnight Job Hunting

(Look at these idiots prancing about playing hero and ultimately putting us and our girl April at risk >:[[[) (lolol jk i love them so much i wanna punch em in the snouts)

(Taking place during Origami Tsunami; and action!)

  I trudged through the cold nighttime streets, shoving my hands deep in my jacket pockets. It was late. I was alone. Was it safe? No. But do I even give two flying pigs on pogo sticks about it? Nope. Because of two reasons.

  1) I have a taser and I will not hesitate to use it >:[

  and

  2) I was on a mission.

  Well, a hunt. A job hunt.

  Hey, the struggles of a girl living with her only relative is real. Gramps may bring in ample money from his bakery, but I still have to pitch in. Because student loans suck male genitalia.

  Gramps doesn't think I should be working though. He wants me to focus on my studies, which frankly enough, I don't. So I might as well get a part time job so I'm not completely useless. 

  Lost in my thoughts, I didn't notice a particularly large rock sticking out the sidewalk and inevitably tripped. Fortunately, someone grabbed me by the hand in time and pulled me back up on my feet. I looked up and saw a familiar face.

  "April O'Neill. Thanks for the save."

  "Anytime, girl!" she grinned. "Whatever I can do for the infamous girl who planted weed in Mr. Dickson's classroom vents."

  I snorted. "He was a pervert. And you're not innocent either, Mrs. I Stab Random People With A Screwdriver."

  "I was assaulted; they had it coming." she huffed, smirking.

  "We both have our ways with vengeance, I see."

  "Touché." she shrugged. "So what're you doin' out here at night?"

  I sigh dramatically. "Job hunting. The bane of my existence."

  "Same here." she answered sympathetically, holding up a newspaper page.

  "Ah, the woes of children with single parental figures." I tutted.

  "I feel." she nodded.

  "Speaking of, you headed to that new paper shop opening they mentioned on the evening newspapers too..?" I tilted my head in question.

  "Yeah! Wanna go together? Twice the girl charm, yeah?" she nudged my side, winking cheekily.

  I laughed. "What, are you planning on seducing the owners?"

  "It's possible."

  "Disgusting!" we both laughed and continued down the street together. Time flies when you have good company, and we found ourselves in front of the aforementioned shop. It looked.. tacky, if anything. I sniffed the air. It smelt like animal juices..? No, wait, is that the smell of fresh meat?

  I looked at April skeptically. She was too busy prepping herself up to even notice how strange the joint looked. Was she actually convinced, or what?

  If anything, I felt more wary of the place itself rather than if I get accepted for this 'job' or not. I slipped my hand into my bag and grabbed my taser tight.

  "Alright, okay, we can do this." April pumped her fists and looked at me determined. "Let's go."

  I simply nodded, eyes darting back and forth for anything suspicious.