Chapter 1

"Alina," joyfully whispered Ellen as she entered a typical Helios bedroom—a wide space purely painted in white with large glass window that allows the sunlight to enter.

"Five more minutes," groaned the 17-year-old bleach-haired female as she let the sunlight linger through her pale skin.

Ellen desperately sighs, knowing the consistency of their morning routine. "Sweetheart, today is your first day in school. You should at least try to be punctual," Ellen said as she sits beside the child.

Alina pulls the sheets, covering her face, "Five."

"Alright then, no telescope for tonight," Ellen spoke with a sly grin on the side of her face.

As if on cue, Alina bolted up, opened her round eyes and started to head downstairs, "Mom, come on now or else I'll be late."

Five meters from the staircase, Alina was greeted by the already full-dressed Sirius who serenely sips his coffee as he gazes at his cellphone. "You're quite early today, pumpkin," remarked Sirius as he glanced at the 5'7" teen.

"You know I'm never a morning person, dad," Alina stated with grimace on her face as she approaches her father.

"And we've already reminded you that being associated with the night is a bad thing," Sirius sternly spoke.

"Of course," Alina discarded the thought as she sits beside Sirius. She then starts to pour cereal and milk in her bowl. "So, where are you going today?"

"Your mom and I are going to survey a telecom tower down South. We'll probably be back a bit later tonight."

"And by a bit later, you mean the usual before six curfew?"

"Unfortunately not, darling," Ellen remarked as she strides down the stairs and towards the dining area. "There is quite a commotion as to the situation there caused by human tappers recently. It seems like it will be pretty huge this time." Ellen brought out the newly prepared fruit salad and handed it over to Alina. "And try to eat healthy this day okay?"

"Additionally, beware of mean humans in your school. Helios people are fairly remarkable in academic performance but known to humility. The stereotypical views about us might be disadvantageous to the eyes of the envious," his father added as he puts down his phone and finally eyes Alina. "Being home-schooled all these years may be tough, considering how you only encounter our Helios neighborhood. But, considering that you're almost an adult, we decided to let you know of human behaviors as well. I hope you understand that we mean well."

"Certainly," Alina nodded towards her father. "Although honestly, I'd very much prefer to be alone in my room, studying quietly and doing personal stuff without other presence."

Ellen and Sirius gave each other a side-glance. "Just make sure not to get hurt okay?" Ellen worriedly gazed at Alina.

After their morning preparations, Alina, who is dressed in a pale brown hoodie paired with white jeans and dark brown sneakers, jumped on her black car. As of today, the couple are letting her own Ranger Raptor as a gift for attending school. "Don't get lost, sweetie." Her parents consequently entered their own Bugatti Chiron and went off to work.

Alina kicked on the engine and headed east. On the road, the instructions given by the directory of the car seemed pretty unusual to her as it is her first try off their neighborhood. She ran out of temper and decided to ask a man of her age whose focus is concentrated on the jazz music playing through his earphones as he strides by the sidewalk. Alina matched her pace with his. "Excuse me," Alina tries to interrupt. She noticed that the guy wearing denim jeans with plain white V-neck top that strategically shows a lean yet muscular built was not able to notice her presence. Alina then finally decided to blow the horn.

Catching his attention, the guy came to Alina's full view. He has pitch black hair neatly cut with strict eyes matching the same color. At first, his eyebrows raised in annoyance but upon setting eyes on Alina, he immediately calmed down. He removes an earpiece as he approaches the lady. With a reasonably close distance, he queried "Yes?"

"I was wondering if you're also attending Arun Academy." She nonchalantly followed up after a brief pause, "Are you?"

"I am not obliged to answer that, am I?" the stranger replied with an irritated expression.

"I'd really appreciate it if you'll give me directions if there is any the shortcut to the academy."

The stranger smirked as he replied, "That will cost you my ride to school then."

Alina gestured as she shallowly sighed, "Hop in."

"We start off by turning left after a block. The name's Atlas Fritz by the way," he gave out his hand for a shake.

Alina obliged, "Alina Strider." On a very short moment, Alina felt a strange tingling feeling that ran through her hand as she touched Atlas but immediately dismissed the thought.

"You're starting fresh, I believe?"

"Yep. You must be on your senior years." And the silence fell for a moment.

"You've got very nice deep gray eyes," Atlas commented out of the blue. "Just saying. It reminds me of my father's best friend. She was a really close family friend."