Epilogue

Boruto lay in Mitsuki's bed staring up at the ceiling. Mitsuki was asleep, head resting under his chin with both his arms wrapped tightly around him, mindful of his stitches but still firm enough to prevent him from escaping. Not that Boruto would try. This whole thing was still so weird to him. The 'Mitsuki' he had rejected over and over again had been his all the long. His heart stabbed at him with guilt as he ran his finger tips up and down Mitsuki's exposed arm. He thought about the last ten days and everything they had been through. Something was bothering him.

"Hey, Mitsuki?" Mitsuki nuzzled his neck sleepily, letting him know he was listening. "What happened to the bandits?" Boruto asked.

"I killed them." Mitsuki replied easily, without opening his eyes. Boruto looked down at Mitsuki in shock. Mitsuki must have felt him tense because he pushed his face further into Boruto's neck, refusing to look up as he continued, "They almost killed me and when I found you, I thought they had killed you, Boruto." He said softly. His hold tightened around Boruto, who could feel a light tremor move through his lover's body, "I'm sorry but I couldn't let them go."

Boruto sighed but let it go. He didn't feel like giving the 'killing is bad' speech again and after everything that had happened, he really wasn't sure how much he cared. Mitsuki, feeling Boruto relax, melted back into his side as he relaxed too and his breathing became even again after only a moment. Boruto looked down at the man he loved, taking in his white-blue hair and unblemished pale skin. He was so beautiful it was almost unnatural. He guessed, in a way, it was.

He had never really thought about Mitsuki's origin before. Sure, he was aware of it since his first visit to the Sound Village but he hadn't thought of it much since. How Mitsuki came to be never really mattered to him. Mitsuki was Mitsuki, no matter how he got here. The way he had spoken about himself in the Land of Earth had been heartbreaking to Boruto. How he could talk like he was so unimportant that he could just be replaced, he would never understand. He had meant what he said then. He would accept no other as Mitsuki. Surly, his recent actions proved that. However, he thought as he gazed lovingly at his contentedly sleeping lover, considering Mitsuki's unique nature, there obviously needed to be some flexibility regarding that rule.

"Mitsuki?" Boruto asked again. Mitsuki snuggled his neck in response. "How, exactly, did you survive? I mean, I know what you did but how did you... get your new body?"

"My parent fused me with the body of a clone who's mind didn't survive." Mitsuki answered casually, still half asleep. After a moment, he tensed, popped open a gleaming golden eye and looked apprehensively up at Boruto. "That doesn't bother you, does it?" He asked.

"NO, no!" Boruto answered quickly, "I was just... wondering, if we are going to have to do this every time you get, um, hurt." Boruto finished awkwardly. Mitsuki studied his face, then relaxed, his face contemplative.

"There aren't any more bodies I can use right now, but my parent did say that they could use cells from my first body to make another one. It would take time but I guess it is an option if it becomes necessary, but..." Mitsuki propped himself up on an elbow to look directly at Boruto without loosening his grip on his body, "Only if that is okay... with you." Boruto's chest squeezed with guilt as he gazed at Mitsuki's apprehensive face. He tightened his hold round Mitsuki's shoulders and gently held his face with his free hand. He pressed a gentle, loving kiss to Mitsuki's pale lips, making his Moon's eyes flutter and his body melt a little. He didn't know if he would ever get used to being with his boyfriend in a different body, but as long as it was his Mitsuki, he would manage.

"As long as it's you." He said with a smile.